• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What happened to free speech on Exeweb?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't say that what you quoted were controversial, It was pure discrimination and laws needed to be brought in and no one said it infringed their freedom of speech, We moved on as a society
That's what I said. They are not controversial now in the UK. But they were some years ago. Now it is the mainstream view. But going back 50/100 years they weren't. They still aren't in some countries.

IndoMike

All threads get infected by the coronavirus at some point. It has gone virtual!
There's else to talk about.
That's taking swearing to another level. Not many people use that middle word.
I've come over all religious

DB9

That's what I said. They are not controversial now in the UK. But they were some years ago. Now it is the mainstream view. But going back 50/100 years they weren't. They still aren't in some countries.
Being sexist, Homophobic etc wasn't controversial years ago it was the norm, It took laws to make it unlawful, I'm saying nowadays there are things that are being construed as hateful etc which to many people are not. There is not one person on Exeweb who thinks racism, anti semitic etc as acceptable and we have laws to ensure that people are brought to book

LOG

Being sexist, Homophobic etc wasn't controversial years ago it was the norm, It took laws to make it unlawful, I'm saying nowadays there are things that are being construed as hateful etc which to many people are not. There is not one person on Exeweb who thinks racism, anti semitic etc as acceptable and we have laws to ensure that people are brought to book
The sad thing really is needing to have those laws at all. For example, when the law around upskirting was introduced that was a very good thing but what does it say about society that the law was needed in the first place?

"Don't be a count" should be the only law we need.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

The sad thing really is needing to have those laws at all. For example, when the law around upskirting was introduced that was a very good thing but what does it say about society that the law was needed in the first place?

"Don't be a count" should be the only law we need.
Not being a prat shouldn't need a law!

IndoMike

Laws are only half of it. Laws can't stop people thinking the way they think but can stop people acting in a way which confirms the way they think .
Better to educate the kids to be accepting of difference, although some would say even that is some kind of brainwashing or interference with freedom of thought.

Rosencrantz

I think we might be talking at crossed purposes here a bit. As you say those views was seen as being the norm. But the laws didn't change without a cause. They changed because enough pressure was brought by people who thought those views shouldn't be the norm and it was discrimination. So you had campaigns, protests and often they had resistance and took years to see legislation brought in and the normal views change over time to what they are today.

Votes for women and emancipation took decades and was controversial at that time through the actions of the protesters. From slavery to racial discrimination laws took centuries and had many controversies during that time. People's view and norms have always changed over time and new norms occur, but normally not without some friction.

DB9

I think we might be talking at crossed purposes here a bit. As you say those views was seen as being the norm. But the laws didn't change without a cause. They changed because enough pressure was brought by people who thought those views shouldn't be the norm and it was discrimination. So you had campaigns, protests and often they had resistance and took years to see legislation brought in and the normal views change over time to what they are today.

Votes for women and emancipation took decades and was controversial at that time through the actions of the protesters. From slavery to racial discrimination laws took centuries and had many controversies during that time. People's view and norms have always changed over time and new norms occur, but normally not without some friction.
You're probably right about the cross purpose thing, I'm just a very strong believer in free speech as long as it does not incite a crime to be committed,. TBH I don't worry about words being said to me either as long as the above is adhered to

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
So going back to my original comment which isn't racial or homophobic in any way why does it automatically get changed to suit ?
I type L eftwaffe without the space and it changes to Idiot right-wingers .....

I realise some people want to see this as a little victory in their own crazed universe where everyone knows all their rights but none of their responsibilities but to edit my posts are in itself a form of discrimination.

Last edited:

DB9

So going back to my original comment which isn't racial or homophobic in any way why does it automatically get changed to suit ?
I type L eftwaffe without the space and it changes to
Idiot right-wingers .....
Perhaps your keyboard is Woke or an SJW! 🤣🤣