• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Life of Senna by Tom Rubython.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Currently half way reading through all the Sharpe series again.
Read all those many years ago.Great though they were , my pile of outstanding unread books and lack of stamina won’t let me go through them all over again . Are you into The Last Kingdom series?

Rosencrantz

Read all those many years ago.Great though they were , my pile of outstanding unread books and lack of stamina won’t let me go through them all over again . Are you into The Last Kingdom series?
Yep, pretty much all Bernard Cornwell writes I have. I do like The Last Kingdom series, but I prefer Sharpe and the Warlord Chronicles. I would normally have quite a few unread books myself but circumstances and lockdown back along got me re-reading books from my extensive library in between new books.

Also working my way through the DVD'S as well.

Banksy

Enemy at the Gates , William Craig , the book which was the inspiration behind the film of the same name. Classic account of the battle for Stalingrad in all its grim detail. The bloodiest battle in the history of modern warfare which cost the lives of nearly two million soldiers and civilians.It signalled the beginning of the end for the Nazis. An excellent detailed read.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Angel of Wessex ~ A novel by Michael Taylor.

Born on the wrong side of the blanket, the daughter of of a well-to-do Victorian family is sent from the splendour of a Dartmoor mansion to live in grinding poverty in a country hovel where she has to learn to make her own way in life.

Banksy

The Keen Land and other stories. Jack Schaefer. Good book of western yarns by the author of Shane.
I also have the thirteenth book and last book of the Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwall lined up to read.

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
The Bible - God

Banksy

Spear Havoc, Alternative histories. C R May.What might have happened to history given alternative scenarios of the battle of Hastings and / or the events preceding it.

Banksy

Being into sci fi I thought I’d use this time to catch up on some old books of the genre.
Earth Abides 1949.George R Stewart. Post apocalyptic story of one man’s experiences in a world that’s lost the bulk of its population.It made me sit up and think when I read the foreword , written in 1947.

“If a killing type of virus strain should suddenly arise by mutation … it could, because of the rapid transportation in which we indulge nowadays, be carried to the far corners of the earth and cause the deaths of millions of people.
—W. M. Stanley, in Chemical and Engineering News, Dec. 22, 1947.”

How fragile civilisation is!