• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What book are you reading ...

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was that squadron involved in the Baedeker raids ? (Memories of that as an Advent Calendar Quiz question posted by Elgy IIRC)

I have a film Squadron 303 recently recorded about a Polish WWII unit. Sub titles unfortunately
As you know the Baedeker raids were the Luftwaffe's tit-for-tat response after the RAF bombed cities like Lubeck which was of no military value whatsoever. If you look at the second paragraph beneath the photograph of the paratroop officer you will note the squadron was raised spercifically to counteract such actions..

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

dontpassback

Tales from little dribbling,one of Bill Brysons latest books,not the best he has written but a good read,nonetheless

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
Any review fever ? It's on my list of classics to download.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tales from little dribbling,one of Bill Brysons latest books,not the best he has written but a good read,nonetheless
Love Bill Bryson me. A walk in the woods is my fave and the Australian one is just brilliant.

dontpassback

Love Bill Bryson me. A walk in the woods is my fave and the Australian one is just brilliant.
They never fail and he has a unique view of thing being from the US and a British citizen,his sense of humour is superb and he is also very knowledgable on his history etc

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hiter: Military Commander By Robert Mathews

Thanks to the author I learnt that the British Army's landing in Greece really messed up Hitler's plans as he had counted on defeating the Russians inside five months but the one month delay saw the arrival of the Russian winter while his his troops still lacked the necessary winter clothing. Other than learning that Napoleon lost 60 of his Generals during his catastrophic retreat it was pretty much run-of-the-mill stuff.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Rookie ( An odyssey through chess and life.)Stephen Moss
One man’s attempt to improve at chess beyond the level of ordinary patzer written in witty fashion.
Thought I’d give it a whirl as an ex club player particularly as he does the rounds of some tournaments I’ve played in myself and it also reminds me of the time I was a Tournament Controller ( we controllers were just as nerdish and wacky as the players. One tournament , we tried to match as many opponents we could according to their names , managed Black v White , Small v Large , and the classic Abbott v Costello.) The nutty mind of a chess player , so the book rings a bell.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Full Circle, by Air Vice-marshal J E 'Johnnie' Johnson. Top scoring allied pilot.

For those interested google Johnnie Johnson (RAF Officer)

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stuffy
Genuine and (I promise) non political question but, as an aviator yourself, did you ever come across a book called "Stick and Rudder", written back in 1944 by a German trainer (yes, I know) but still, apparently, regarded by many (at least in the Flight Sim community) as a fantastic basic primer in the mechanics of, at least, basic aviation in GA aircraft.
I had a "Kindle" copy for quite a while but it suddenly disappeared as, it seems, is no longer available.
Hard copies do appear still to be available (although of sometimes dubious provenance) but seem highly expensive.
Even as primarily someone who "flies from his man-cave" - mainly on XPlane 11 (on VR - it's fantastic) and also - just now - on the new Microsoft job - I have enjoyed a few (highly expensive!!) co-piloting trips in a C172 from EGTE so do have the flying bug.
But, back to question. As an obviously experienced aviator. Have you even come across the book? And, in your professional opinion, is it worth the expense -rather than a once-free internet browse?