• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What’s your favourite?

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
Favourite promotion, favourite child ? Love ‘em all, for different reasons ! :)

STURTZ

The 76/77 team were a joy to watch.
That reminds me.

It was a chilly evening as I stepped off the bus into the Barnsley smog.....

iscalad

Reminds me of the Barnsley game.

It was a chilly evening as I stepped off the bus......
Oh please.....

Grecianpasty

The promotion in 08 has to be the best.

Firstly, To be 3-1 down on aggregate against your local rivals in a play off and win in the manour we did was almost unbelievable. The Harley goal which went through a sea of players took an age to get in! And then going on to win gain promotion, that was special.

Yes, the Morecombe game wasn't the best, but the lead up to it and the outcome just propelled us to heights unimaginable only a few short years earlier.

manc grecian

The promotion in 08 has to be the best.

Firstly, To be 3-1 down on aggregate against your local rivals in a play off and win in the manour we did was almost unbelievable. The Harley goal which went through a sea of players took an age to get in! And then going on to win gain promotion, that was special.

Yes, the Morecombe game wasn't the best, but the lead up to it and the outcome just propelled us to heights unimaginable only a few short years earlier.
So memorable you've got your year's mixed up

dontpassback

1990 under terry Cooper,some of the best football I have seen city play,and when we beat blackburn at home in the league cup Chris vinnicombe scored one of the best goals seen at the park for a long time,we were lucky to watch some quality players,some who went on to premier league clubs,simply the best was played on the tannoy,and at that time we were.Wembley play off v Cambridge was up there as well,but for me it 1990

Arthur Davey

Favourite promotion, favourite child ? Love ‘em all, for different reasons ! :)
Yep, me too - 4 children, so my 'City promotion family' has now eclipsed that 😄...
76/77 really fell in love with my Club...
'90 was indeed special that home form
2008 Wembley, stressful getting there on time with small children, relief at winning, esp after previous year,
2009 juggling work, footie & family life - was even being dragged out to buy a swing & climbing frame while Logie was up doing his Don Valley bit 🙄,
2022 ...I think personal reasons make it my #1🥇: enjoying it with my youngest buay when he's a similar age to what I was in 76/77 has been THE most wonderful father-son time (& my hair still matches that of many of the 76/77 squad 😌). Coupled with the Trust ownership model & a first team comprising 50% academy products, it really feels that it is truly 'ours'. CTID - the both of us 💓

Leads

Good thread! This has sort of been alluded to by Manc, but I think a lot of it depends not necessarily on how good the team were to watch, but your involvement with the season. For me, I only went to 6 games in 21/22, 3 of them were in August and we didn’t win any of them. I didn’t go to any between October and the Rochdale (H) game and so I feel like I have missed most of it. Northampton was a lot of fun yesterday though!

I went a lot in 08/09 and 09/10, particularly the latter- in fact I only missed 3 games all season I think. Was 16/17, the YST were in full force and we had so many good away days. As such, my order would be as follows:

1) 09/10
2) 08/09
3) 21/22

grecIAN Harris

It's a toss up between 90 and this one (so long as we finish the job off). The 1990 side were just ridiculous at home, it didn't matter who you were and what division you were in you just knew City weren't getting beat, almost certainties to win. Undefeated at home, unbelievable!! The way we ripped Torquay to pieces on New Years Day was just joyous and it was topped off with a final day at Lincoln that you just had to be there to believe it. Even though we were walking away with the title, we still weren't that great away from home and the previous years had been just awful away from home. To go up there and demolish a Lincoln side that were in need of a result to get in the play offs 5-1 was just beyond our wildest dreams.
Compare that to this season, the core of our squad is built from within, we've won with our own. In February only promotion was a realisic idea in some peoples minds, the play-offs more likely to most given that we were 18 points behind Village Green and not even in the play-offs. Only the delusional dared to dream. Yet here we are, one game away from probably (and I say probably because I haven't looked it up but I don't think many teams have come from 18 points behind in February to win the league) one of the biggest title chases in League history. It really is unbelievable!!
Both have their own merits and are so hard to split.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
So In my time supporting City I’ve seen four promotions, but how do they rank? For me Terry Cooper’s sits loud and proud at the top. It was my first so it’ll always be special, but that freakish home record is probably something that’ll never be repeated by any team anywhere ever. Plus we sealed both promotion and the title at home, and that final 5-1 result at Lincoln. Say no more.

Next is tricky but I’m going to just edge this current one. It’s been on the cards for quite some time with the constant threat of the dreaded play-offs, but we have some genuinely exciting players and it shouldn’t be underestimated just how important the Academy has been regularly supplying 50% of the starting 11.

Just behind I’ll take Wembley. Had we done it the year before it might have been a different story: first time in the play-offs, first time at not just Wembley but the new Wembley, and finally escaping the Conference but it wasn’t the first time, we’d seen it and (almost) done it before, it was more relief than joy.

And finally Rotherham. Going through the division is no mean feat, but (I think) three sides had heavy points deductions and the division in general wasn’t of a particularly high quality. But, up’s up so it shouldn’t be dismissed quite so nonchalantly, but for me the other three were more enjoyable, especially given I wasn’t there to see it!

Anyway, over to you!
Can't argue with that same order for me - I only have limted memories of 76/77 but probably sneaks in ahead of Rotherham