• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What’s your favourite?

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
So In my time supporting City I’ve seen four promotions, but how do they rank? For me Terry Cooper’s sits loud and proud at the top. It was my first so it’ll always be special, but that freakish home record is probably something that’ll never be repeated by any team anywhere ever. Plus we sealed both promotion and the title at home, and that final 5-1 result at Lincoln. Say no more.

Next is tricky but I’m going to just edge this current one. It’s been on the cards for quite some time with the constant threat of the dreaded play-offs, but we have some genuinely exciting players and it shouldn’t be underestimated just how important the Academy has been regularly supplying 50% of the starting 11.

Just behind I’ll take Wembley. Had we done it the year before it might have been a different story: first time in the play-offs, first time at not just Wembley but the new Wembley, and finally escaping the Conference but it wasn’t the first time, we’d seen it and (almost) done it before, it was more relief than joy.

And finally Rotherham. Going through the division is no mean feat, but (I think) three sides had heavy points deductions and the division in general wasn’t of a particularly high quality. But, up’s up so it shouldn’t be dismissed quite so nonchalantly, but for me the other three were more enjoyable, especially given I wasn’t there to see it!

Anyway, over to you!

manc grecian

Wasn't around for 1990 so I'll go this one.

Been to nearly every home game, watched us grow to be a proper team where everyone scraps for each other. Watching the likes of sweeney mature, Jevani strolling round like he's the dogs. Nombes infectious enthusiasm and Stubbs leadership has been a joy and just when you would allow them to have a day off they show that spirit again by nicking a point where we have a dreadful record. The title would be the icing on the cake.

Wembley in 2nd another great team with lots of characters and was nice to laugh at the torquay but it misses out because we didn't seal it in front of our own fans.

League 2 promotion was pure momentum and I'd just become a dad for the first time so wasn't as emotionally involved and you couldn't have picked a worse ground to seal the deal.

Grecian Max

I’d agree with all of that (too young for 90). 08/09 was a slow burn and felt like autos came out of nowhere right at the end, we had a way of playing and surprise factor but weren’t outclassing teams like we have done this year. Genuinely a League One side in League Two.

That said I don’t think this year beats the absolute relief of that Edwards goal and subsequent promotion. So much more on the line - we could still be stuck down there with only 2 up.

STURTZ

I have a virtual dynamic non time specific all time Exeter City team in my head which features players from my 55 years as a City fan. Inevitably it is populated by players that have featured in promotions over the years. Currently the only players under threat are Alan Beer (Jevani) and Kev Miller (Cameron), and I'm not sure about them yet. For me our current team is not made up with brilliant players but good players being expertly managed. What stands out is the spirit of the squad, the ability to dig out last minute winners and the camaraderie. So Matt Taylor is now my team manager
For me I'd put this team on a level with the team of 77, better than 09 but not as good as 90. Course it's all subjective but it whiles away the time between matches!

Sturtz Promotion Teams United.

Dawson
Hiley, Taylor (S), Edwards (R), Friend.
Harley, Brown(J), Robertson.
Kellow, Robotham, Neville.

Manager Matt Taylor.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I, four one, can't look past the 2008 season ;)

budegrecian

I have a virtual dynamic non time specific all time Exeter City team in my head which features players from my 55 years as a City fan. Inevitably it is populated by players that have featured in promotions over the years. Currently the only players under threat are Alan Beer (Jevani) and Kev Miller (Cameron), and I'm not sure about them yet. For me our current team is not made up with brilliant players but good players being expertly managed. What stands out is the spirit of the squad, the ability to dig out last minute winners and the camaraderie. So Matt Taylor is now my team manager
For me I'd put this team on a level with the team of 77, better than 09 but not as good as 90. Course it's all subjective but it whiles away the time between matches!

Sturtz Promotion Teams United.

Dawson
Hiley, Taylor (S), Edwards (R), Friend.
Harley, Brown(J), Robertson.
Kellow, Robotham, Neville.

Manager Matt Taylor.
Now I love Jevani as much as the next City fan, but to suggest he poses a threat to Alan Beer? No.

STURTZ

Now I love Jevani as much as the next City fan, but to suggest he poses a threat to Alan Beer? No.
I know, not sure about Dawson over Miller either but felt I had to make some concessions to our current team, maybe Jevani for Robertson?

budegrecian

I know, not sure about Dawson over Miller either but felt I had to make some concessions to our current team, maybe Jevani for Robertson?
Again, No i'm afraid. Lammie was just something else & was bought by Leicester in the top flight....for all of £8k I believe... I don't see too many Premiership scouts watching Jevani just yet.
& you're right about Dawson over Miller too. & let's not forget Big Kev was also Cornish!

iscalad

The 76/77 team were a joy to watch.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
The promotions of ‘90 and ‘22 have a similar feel. The difference between the two sides were those Blackburn, Sunderland and Norwich games from 89-90. We haven’t come close to that this season.