• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

robchave

I think he's a great player, when fit and playing. And that's obviously his problem. Clubs employ players to play. If he can't play regularly, then he's basically unemployable. He's got a few months to save his career. I hope the lad makes it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think he's a great player, when fit and playing. And that's obviously his problem. Clubs employ players to play. If he can't play regularly, then he's basically unemployable. He's got a few months to save his career. I hope the lad makes it.
I agree but even if he plays from Christmas to the end of the season (BIG if) then he's only been selectable for two half seasons in a contract that encompassed five half seasons. For us that's not enough. His career with us is definitely over at the end if his contract.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree but even if he plays from Christmas to the end of the season (BIG if) then he's only been selectable for two half seasons in a contract that encompassed five half seasons. For us that's not enough. His career with us is definitely over at the end if his contract.
I wouldn't say over at this point. If he comes back and plays for example 15 games I think the club will offer him a contract. The contract offer of course will be significantly different based upon the past two years. Whether he signs or decides to try his hand elsewhere are another matter of course

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't say over at this point. If he comes back and plays for example 15 games I think the club will offer him a contract. The contract offer of course will be significantly different based upon the past two years. Whether he signs or decides to try his hand elsewhere are another matter of course
I don't think we will unless he plays every game from mid December onwards. There's no chance of his knee being up to that.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is the sort of game where we really miss Sam. Him up against Clarke-Harris would have been a fantastic contest.

tom_ecfc

This is the sort of game where we really miss Sam. Him up against Clarke-Harris would have been a fantastic contest.
Sweeney & Hartridge dealt with him well enough. His goal was very well taken. Overall Peterborough tried to play through him too much and we cleaned up more times than not.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think we will unless he plays every game from mid December onwards. There's no chance of his knee being up to that.
He played 22 times (almost every game) this year from January to end April. Hoping for the same in the second half of this season!l

Rosencrantz

Sweeney & Hartridge dealt with him well enough. His goal was very well taken. Overall Peterborough tried to play through him too much and we cleaned up more times than not.
I think we forced them to play too direct through JCH. We let their centre backs have it but cut off the routes out wide and into midfield. JCH didn't look like he enjoyed being the target despite his size. If he didn't like Sweenz and Alex battling with him on long balls, he sure as hell wouldn't have enjoyed Sam all over him like a cheap suit 🙂

STURTZ

Think this thread is getting a bit cluttered.

If Stubbs comes back this season and plays great over a period of games then offer him a new contract. If he doesn't get fit enough to play well over a period of games, get rid. He did well for us and we did well for him, move on.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we forced them to play too direct through JCH. We let their centre backs have it but cut off the routes out wide and into midfield. JCH didn't look like he enjoyed being the target despite his size. If he didn't like Sweenz and Alex battling with him on long balls, he sure as hell wouldn't have enjoyed Sam all over him like a cheap suit 🙂
The last 10 or 15 minutes of the first half looked quite ominous but we did a much better job in the second half of keeping JCH away from the ball.