• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Championship surely, given that he would then already be playing for a top League One club ? :cool:
He could well be in the Championship with ECFC by the time his contract is up. ;)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't see us making any money from selling Stubbs on. I can't see anyone paying money to sign him this summer on the back of four months of football after a year out.

Therefore it's likely he'll play for us for a full season in League One next season. Enjoy him while he's here.

Also, do we know the terms of the agreement with Fleetwood? Wouldn't surprise me if they have a big sell-on.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't see us making any money from selling Stubbs on. I can't see anyone paying money to sign him this summer on the back of four months of football after a year out.

Therefore it's likely he'll play for us for a full season in League One next season. Enjoy him while he's here.

Also, do we know the terms of the agreement with Fleetwood? Wouldn't surprise me if they have a big sell-on.
I got the impression Fleetwood were glad to get rid of him. You don't have sell on clauses with teams in lower divisions do you?

STURTZ

Every chance Stubbs does sign a new contract and Hartridge goes! What price for the talented Alex? Would Diabate be worth more? So many questions, so much ability.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Lots of us thought that last summer about Joel Randall after his injury-disrupted season but we were still able to sell him for over a million pounds.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lots of us thought that last summer about Joel Randall after his injury-disrupted season but we were still able to sell him for over a million pounds.
And Randall has been injured a lot this season.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I got the impression Fleetwood were glad to get rid of him. You don't have sell on clauses with teams in lower divisions do you?
Watford...Randell Williams

grecIAN Harris

In all likelihood, I make you right, but I don’t think it’s entirely inconceivable Sam might sign a new contract.

As you say, he’ll be more marketable as a free agent. However, any recurrence of his injury and, with his contract coming to an end, he mightn’t be in a great place.

In addition, City have a reputation for not standing in the way of players having an opportunity to move onwards and upwards and, even if Stubbs were to sign a new contract, I’m not sure that would price him out of the range of the calibre of club one would imagine he’d be looking to move to.

Here’s hoping!
Given the way he is playing for us, the way we operate as a club and Sam's recent injury history I wouldn't be surprised to see a transfer clause in any new contract he may sign for a la Stockley, ie somebody offers us £X amount then we must let Sam talk to whoever it is. It covers both parties in terms of Sam's immeadiate security, financially for him and playing for us, and it covers us if somebody does think he is worth taking a punt on.

ianaplincorners

Watford...Randell Williams
Watford aren't 'lower' division

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Every chance Stubbs does sign a new contract and Hartridge goes! What price for the talented Alex? Would Diabate be worth more? So many questions, so much ability.
We have 6 or 7 players, maybe more, who will probably move onwards and upwards at some point and the club has done a fantastic job of getting them tied down to long-term contracts. We just have to hope that not too many of them move on at the same time and hopefully we will be able to offer them league 1 football next season as an attraction to stay at City.