• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
and presumably also there was a reason for the op, which needs to have been cured too!
Well that would have been the reason for the op 🙂. Apart from it being a situation they were trying to manage, I can't find anywhere that goes into detail of what the actual problem was. But if it was a minor op, it seems more routine than an ACL or anything really serious.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
From Matt Taylor's last interview ...
"Sam is due to get his knee drained and have an injection in his knee.
But as soon as he gets that done in the next couple of days he'll have another couple of days to settle and then he'll get back out onto the training pitch"
I'm (genuinely) struggling to keep up with this. My understanding is....

because he had had a 'minor knee operation in December', when he signed in January he was unfit. Like Rosencrantz, I can't recall seeing what the 'minor operation' was intended to cure or what problem had previously manifested itself.

before the signing could be completed he couldn't start training etc or complete the signing because he went down with Covid

it is now February (indeed the second half of February) and he now needs a) to have the knee drained and b) injection (cortisone?)

when that happens there will be a further delay (of a few days) before he can start training

once he starts training then, having not played for 12 weeks he will need to get up to match fitness.

Is this right?

The club and MT are to be commended in being so open about this - but...should we have twinges of concern?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

because he had had a 'minor knee operation in December', when he signed in January he was unfit. Like Rosencrantz, I can't recall seeing what the 'minor operation' was intended to cure or what problem had previously manifested itself.

before the signing could be completed he couldn't start training etc or complete the signing because he went down with Covid

it is now February (indeed the second half of February) and he now needs a) to have the knee drained and b) injection (cortisone?)

when that happens there will be a further delay (of a few days) before he can start training

once he starts training then, having not played for 12 weeks he will need to get up to match fitness.

Is this right?

The club and MT are to be commended in being so open about this - but...should we have twinges of concern?
Only if Sam has another twinge in his knee !
Afram City

Arthur Davey

Well that would have been the reason for the op 🙂. Apart from it being a situation they were trying to manage, I can't find anywhere that goes into detail of what the actual problem was. But if it was a minor op, it seems more routine than an ACL or anything really serious.
As you say, seems more routine than ort majorly serious - From BBC:
"He's a player we're looking to build a team around - we're going to have to be patient, because of the Covid issue to start with and the fact that he had a knee operation midway through December to clear out a bit of cartilage damage.” MT

robchave

There's a few 'Ifs' to this. Given that the club went into this with their eyes open then, IF Sam is a quality player and IF his problem has been resolved and IF we've given him a decent length contract - then this could work out to have been a shrewd move.
Having a reputation as being a place to go where quality players are given time and support to get their careers back on track, could well work in our favour.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster

Is this right?

We will have signed Sam Stubbs with full knowledge of his situation. This is how we have been able to get the player on a free transfer (although I gather that there is a % sell on involved for
There's a few 'Ifs' to this. Given that the club went into this with their eyes open then, IF Sam is a quality player and IF his problem has been resolved and IF we've given him a decent length contract - then this could work out to have been a shrewd move.
Having a reputation as being a place to go where quality players are given time and support to get their careers back on track, could well work in our favour.
Yep will certainly help to bolster our reputation.

Arthur Davey

If he defends with as much tenacity and bravery as he his Ol' Man did then we're on to a winner.
Telling of his ol’ man, this was a good read:
Apologies if slightly off-topic...

I hope this works out...signing injury prone players is something we really should of stayed clear of over the years..signing one that’s already injured FFS 🤦‍♂️

Ash

Pretty sure I read it's a 2 and half year deal. Maybe someone can confirm?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pretty sure I read it's a 2 and half year deal. Maybe someone can confirm?
Confirmed.

✍ Sam Stubbs joins Exeter City - News - Exeter City FC

Reactions: Ash