• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Sam Stubbs (and Cheerio)

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
“Due to whatever reason, Fleetwood have made him available and it was one we wanted to move on quickly, so we are delighted to tie him down on a long contract.
“He’s a player we are looking to build a team around. We will have to be patient because of Covid and his knee operation, so he won’t play straight away, but I am sure we will see his value in the next month or so.”
Oh dear.......
So now we know what ‘Due to whatever reason’ was all about , Fleetwood didn’t want to carry him for six months. Wonder why we thought we could get him off the treatment table in a month or so.
If all our efforts were spent chasing an injured defender , little wonder we couldn’t get hold of a decent forward or attacking midfielder.

IndoMike

You could look at the situation here differently.

Say he's on £100K a year and signed a 2 1/2 year contract (no idea if that's corrct, but plausible).

Equal to paying a £50K transfer fee for a player on a 2 year contract.

If he is fit next season, decent business?
I'd rather the club paid 50k up front and sign a player oven-ready on a 2-year contract than take a risk with a player who clearly has a troublesome injury on a 2.5 year contract. I don't think we should ever sign a player who has such an injury, no matter what his potential. Surely there are other fish in the sea.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You could look at the situation here differently.

Say he's on £100K a year and signed a 2 1/2 year contract (no idea if that's corrct, but plausible).

Equal to paying a £50K transfer fee for a player on a 2 year contract.

If he is fit next season, decent business?
You make a reasonable point, but... the fact that Matt Taylor suggested Stubbs would be available in a matter of weeks suggests his rehabilitation hasn't gone exactly as planned. That said, it is I guess conceivable that the problem keeping him out of the team now is not the same one for which he went under the knife.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd rather the club paid 50k up front and sign a player oven-ready on a 2-year contract than take a risk with a player who clearly has a troublesome injury on a 2.5 year contract. I don't think we should ever sign a player who has such an injury, no matter what his potential. Surely there are other fish in the sea.
Yes, but to extend the analogy there are many other trawlers zig-zagging across the waters trying to catch the large and healthy fish. Our small, slow boat has further to travel from its home port, and doesn't have the deep radar and other technology that richer fishing companies have access to. Still, at least following the outcry from the customers the 12 richest boat owners have not been able to cordon off the most lucrative fishing grounds for their exclusive use.

I have more sympathy with MT over Stubbs than I do over Ajose, whose signing seems to have been an unmitigated disaster and which has to be laid at the manager's door.

Ash

Whilst it is incredibly frustrating, particularly given how the second half of this season has panned out, we can't judge the overall value of this transfer until he's got and been here for the majority of his contract. As has been said before, if he's injured for a chunk of next season then it really will be looking like a mistake. However if he plays like Maldini and we win the title, then inevitably sell him on for a 7 figure fee, all these injury issues will be forgotten and if will look like a masterstroke. Only time will tell.

Trapdoor

Yes, but to extend the analogy there are many other trawlers zig-zagging across the waters trying to catch the large and healthy fish. Our small, slow boat has further to travel from its home port, and doesn't have the deep radar and other technology that richer fishing companies have access to. Still, at least following the outcry from the customers the 12 richest boat owners have not been able to cordon off the most lucrative fishing grounds for their exclusive use.
A very fishy story. Some may even decry it as pure codswallop.

Ash

I have more sympathy with MT over Stubbs than I do over Ajose, whose signing seems to have been an unmitigated disaster and which has to be laid at the manager's door.
Yes, this exactly. Ajose was clearly a huge mistake. Stubbs has loads of time to become a huge success.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
A very fishy story. Some may even decry it as pure codswallop.
Don't tell him, Pike!

IndoMike

Maybe Fisher knows something about it.
If you hear any fin, let me know.

Banksy

When you get any information Mike float it past me would you?