• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

JCWhoosh

The trouble is, people are already judging GC on previous clubs and failures. We can't do that to MT as we were his first management job. Are people saying that City should only get 'newbies' to manage so we have no reference to right them off from the start? If MT were to come back, would people say they wouldn't want him now due to his tough time at Rotherham? I like how GC comes across, the players are responding to him and he has money to invest, Stubbs should be coming back (like he did for MT remember) so will have a better defence. We should stay in league 1 now, attract players with better facilities.

C j phill

So It sounds like we have two options - stay as we, be a L1/2 yo yo club and hope that academy sales fund the occasional promotion push OR do what that lot 40 miles W have done and sell out to a red blooded real Grecian with £s and contacts.
Where is this red blooded real Grecian with £s and contacts? If they were around, why haven't they shown their presence?

I suspect there isnt such a person and therefore our options may be less than two.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where is this red blooded real Grecian with £s and contacts? If they were around, why haven't they shown their presence?

I suspect there isnt such a person and therefore our options may be less than two.
I think if one existed and wanted to come forward it would've already happened imho. Obviously not to say someone won't pop up but tbh to push city to the next level of top end LGE 1 / lower championship will cost someone tens to hundreds of millions of pounds to firstly attain it and secondly retain it

I just can't see anyone being interested, but you never know

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The trouble is, people are already judging GC on previous clubs and failures. We can't do that to MT as we were his first management job. Are people saying that City should only get 'newbies' to manage so we have no reference to right them off from the start? If MT were to come back, would people say they wouldn't want him now due to his tough time at Rotherham? I like how GC comes across, the players are responding to him and he has money to invest, Stubbs should be coming back (like he did for MT remember) so will have a better defence. We should stay in league 1 now, attract players with better facilities.
We've identified plenty of players who are better than their patchy track records suggest they might be and who have turned out to be stars, including the person this thread is about. Maybe the same could for true for a manager.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think if one existed and wanted to come forward it would've already happened imho. Obviously not to say someone won't pop up but tbh to push city to the next level of top end LGE 1 / lower championship will cost someone tens to hundreds of millions of pounds to firstly attain it and secondly retain it

I just can't see anyone being interested, but you never know
Wouldn't cost that much!!

Would cost a lot more than we can currently afford though, I think we are pretty much at our limit but that's a discussion for another day/thread.

jimbo-gould

I think GC has done very well so far. In his first few games, he had the choice to continue previous tactics or try bringing his own in. It’s easy to forget that most managers do that against preseason non-league teams, rather than against many of those who I would expect to be in the top eight come to the end of the season. I’m by no means saying Taylor is a bad manager; but do I think he’d have got a better set of results while transitioning tactics? No.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster

I've got £5 and a computer with access to the internet and social media.Will that do?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Meanwhile, Tim Dieng ..

(there is a thread about GC as manager, though I don't envy Hants trying to untangle this one...)
There's also a thread for former players.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
So It sounds like we have two options - stay as we, be a L1/2 yo yo club and hope that academy sales fund the occasional promotion push OR do what that lot 40 miles W have done and sell out to a red blooded real Grecian with £s and contacts.
If we are a "yo-yo" club it's one helluva long piece of string!

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've got £5 and a computer with access to the internet and social media.Will that do?
Yeah but how many followers do you have?