• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Gary Caldwell - new manager

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is correct. If you assume we lose Key, Collins, Brown, Blackman, Nombe, Hartridge etc (Add in any I've missed), along with Stanno returning etc. That is a huge spine in terms of quality and need of our side. If we want to do well next season, we will need to replace those players with equal or exceeding quality players. In fairness to GC and Flitcroft, that is going to be no easy matter to do within the costings of our budget.
If Key, Nombe, Collins and Hartridge all leave then our budget will be massively enhanced because none of them will be leaving for free.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
If Key, Nombe, Collins and Hartridge all leave then our budget will be massively enhanced because none of them will be leaving for free.
Yes but unless fees are agreed for all of those players we would need to wait for Tribunal outcomes before either actually having the money to spend or being able to confidently predict when and how much will be received.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes but unless fees are agreed for all of those players we would need to wait for Tribunal outcomes before either actually having the money to spend or being able to confidently predict when and how much will be received.
Except for Nombe of course. And even so, a lot of the fees set by tribunal are a formula. We'd have some idea of the minimum we'd receive.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will be enhanced of course, but to bring in players of that quality will prove expensive and difficult. If you look at goalscorer's (Replace Nombe / Brown as examples).

1680699334625.png

Only 4 players with 12 or more goals reside outside of the top 9 sides in the league. 2 are already with us, 1 at Cheltenham and 1 at Bristol. Replacing Stanno, Brown and Nombe (Albeit I think Scott will be a decent signing next season), will be nigh on impossible unless we fluke retaining Brown / Nombe and somehow persuade Fulham to give us Stanno back. It is not impossible, but will be exceptionally tough

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will be enhanced of course, but to bring in players of that quality will prove expensive and difficult.
We've done it before. We replaced Bowman with Nombe, for whom we had to pay a sizeable fee. It's what we pay Marcus Flitcroft for -identifying affordable targets. His track record so far has been good.

Deep breaths.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was only present for one of Kev’s games in charge i.e. Barnsley and we played very well there.
We did play well at Barnsley but you have to remember that was MT's players playing an MT formation using MT's tactics. The players all knew what they were doing and were well drilled at doing it. Nicholson just picked the team that had played the week before when MT was still manager and said go and do what you do. I don't think he can take much credit for that great win.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've done it before. We replaced Bowman with Nombe, for whom we had to pay a sizeable fee. It's what we pay Marcus Flitcroft for -identifying affordable targets. His track record so far has been good.

Deep breaths.
I do not disagree, as said it won't be impossible, but to replace and get quality league one players is a much tougher and more expensive proposition than replacing league 2 players. The overall quality of signings since Flitcroft has come in have been immense whether under GC or MT. I am sure we have transfer targets in mind and place already for the summer to try and get in. Just making the point we will need a proper rebuild if all the players go that we are expecting or have a good chance of going .

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do not disagree, as said it won't be impossible, but to replace and get quality league one players is a much tougher and more expensive proposition than replacing league 2 players. The overall quality of signings since Flitcroft has come in have been immense whether under GC or MT. I am sure we have transfer targets in mind and place already for the summer to try and get in. Just making the point we will need a proper rebuild if all the players go that we are expecting or have a good chance of going .
We've all seen this summer coming from a mile off, it is likely to be pivotal as to whether we do indeed become an established League 1 club or not.

I have huge concerns over whether we can afford to replace the players leaving with players of equal or better quality with our budget but the proof is in the pudding.

rifraf

Deep breaths.
His track record has been quite outstanding.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well given that average attendances are well over 1,000 better than budget and the last 4 home games will all sell out except for away fans from Morecambe, turnover after VAT will have increased by around £350-400K so I think GC can and should have a bigger budget next season. Any money from Ampadu etc will be welcome too.

How much of that dosh should be spent on salary increases for current players and signing replacements for departing ones, I know not.