• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome Callum Rowe

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Brent Pilnick always keeps a weather eye on us and puts good stories together featuring us
I was about to say the same thing.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61025091, I saw this on the BBC website and thought it might be of interest.
The thing I find most interesting here is that when MT was talking to Rowe before signing him it can't have cropped up that he wanted to play in midfield.

I wonder how often this happens with players? If we'd signed him as a first-choice left back (i know that wasn't the case) and he didn't really want to play there MT would have every right to be miffed.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
some of the clues were there before. Rowe's wonderful assist for Barry's equaliser didn't get the publicity or credit that it deserved. Received the ball from his keeper under pressure, controls it, jinxes some space and then threads a superb through ball for Barry to run on to and score...top quality midfielders would have been proud of that

Plus superb interview again from Scott.The reality three weeks ago was that it looked like Callum's full time professional career was over. He'd been released by Villa,couldn't get more than 20 minutes in total in the league for City, and then after a good start was left out for several games by his loan club in the sixth tier. You can feel/hear the emotional rollercoaster that Callum has been on; sound advice from his dad too.

interesting contrast drawn with Archie Collins. Born two days apart. As of three weeks ago Archie had 120+ league appearances, Callum 0.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The thing I find most interesting here is that when MT was talking to Rowe before signing him it can't have cropped up that he wanted to play in midfield.

I wonder how often this happens with players? If we'd signed him as a first-choice left back (i know that wasn't the case) and he didn't really want to play there MT would have every right to be miffed.
Easy to forget that Callum was given a chance at left wing back as early as our second game of the season when Jack Sparkes was injured at Orient. It was only because he unfortunately struggled that afternoon that Jake Caprice played there in the next game against Barrow.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Behind a paywall but a piece on Callum in the Football League Paper

andrew p long

So farewell then Callum Rowe, with best wishes for the future. What a rollercoaster both at City -one of the 11 on the pitch as we clinched promotion -v- Barrow and at Villa (the through ball for Villa's equaliser -v-Liverpool, whilst having to mark Mo Salah). But then released by both.

I really hope he gets another crack at full time professional football. And I'm optimistic. There's full time professional clubs in League Two, the National League and even National League North has half a dozen full time professional clubs, such as Kidderminster Harriers. His youth and versatility (centre midfield but can cover for left back) may help

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
So farewell then Callum Rowe, with best wishes for the future. What a rollercoaster both at City -one of the 11 on the pitch as we clinched promotion -v- Barrow and at Villa (the through ball for Villa's equaliser -v-Liverpool, whilst having to mark Mo Salah). But then released by both.

I really hope he gets another crack at full time professional football. And I'm optimistic. There's full time professional clubs in League Two, the National League and even National League North has half a dozen full time professional clubs, such as Kidderminster Harriers. His youth and versatility (centre midfield but can cover for left back) may help
I guess this is now crunch time for Callum. He either gets a right cob on having tumbled down the leagues from Villa all the way to say Kidderminster or he rolls his proverbial sleeves up and works 20% harder than he ever has done to prove everyone wrong. I hope the latter but talent alone will never be enough

Colesman Ballz

I guess this is now crunch time for Callum. He either gets a right cob on having tumbled down the leagues from Villa all the way to say Kidderminster or he rolls his proverbial sleeves up and works 20% harder than he ever has done to prove everyone wrong. I hope the latter but talent alone will never be enough
Recently the One Vale Fan forum suggested that they are looking at him.

arthur

His progress here was severely hampered by us having such a strong central midfield. I'd have thought a year playing regularly for a League 2 team which finished in the upper middle part of the table (or higher) would set his career up nicely. I really hope this happens.

If he feels down after being released by us he could perhaps have a word with Jimmy Keohane....

Boyo

Having come from a Premier League academy, I suspect that his wages were high, compared to other youngsters in their first few years in the professional game. There's clearly a player there and I think he's good enough in L2, but it comes down to value.