• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Welcome as an EFL referee Rebecca

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
This event deserves its own thread.

Welcome to the bearpit of reffing professional football games Rebecca (y)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder what impact, if any, this might have on players language.

"Crikey ref you prawn, that wasn't handball for Pete's sake".

Red Devon

She’s just been on the Jeremy Vine show, she has a Geordie accent and comes across as very switched on.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

She’s just been on the Jeremy Vine show, she has a Geordie accent and comes across as very switched on.
Perhaps she will dish out the verbals every bit as as good as the hairy assed old grizzlies in L2. :)

Legohead

Banned
Happy for the lass, so long as she doesn't want to take up commentating on games too. I find female football commentary not the same from a purely auditory perspective and prefer a male in that regard but i'm not saying that female commentators aren't good at their jobs. Just a preference that's all. As for female refs, don't see the big deal really. So long as they are competent then that's all that matters.

In fact, refs these days seem to have a huge issue in not admitting mistakes and i think in part this a male ego thing. Maybe female refs won't feel the need to protect their own egos as much, making for a much more open and transparent game.

Also, women seem able to diffuse the embarrassing male machismo that is often displayed, which is why often female police officers are best at dealing with some situations.

Alistair20000

I guess we will not be shouting "you to55er ref" at her if we are ever allowed to watch games in grounds.

Legohead

Banned
I guess we will not be shouting "you to55er ref" at her if we are ever allowed to watch games in grounds.
It's an interesting point though. I generally tend not to shout obscenities at refs but it would go against my natural view as to what is acceptable, hurling abuse at a woman. Call me old fashioned..........

Alistair20000

It's an interesting point though. I generally tend not to shout obscenities at refs but it would go against my natural view as to what is acceptable, hurling abuse at a woman. Call me old fashioned..........
There were a pair who sat just behind me in the Flybe a few years back who very regularly shouted the "T" word at the refs.

Like you I don't think I would want to hurl abuse at a lady ref.

iscalad

There were a pair who sat just behind me in the Flybe a few years back who very regularly shouted the "T" word at the refs.

Like you I don't think I would want to hurl abuse at a lady ref.
I believe they still do. Covid allowing

Red Devon

Good luck to her today she can’t do any worse than the men at the moment.