• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Weighted PPG and play-offs for League 2?

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
EFL now proposing the same for L1 (and I think the Championship) as in L2 but with relegation which would include Satanage being relegated. I suspect Phil Wallace won't take this lying down particularly with Macclesfield's situation. They need a simple majority of clubs to vote this through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193

denzel

EFL now proposing the same for L1 (and I think the Championship) as in L2 but with relegation which would include Satanage being relegated. I suspect Phil Wallace won't take this lying down particularly with Macclesfield's situation. They need a simple majority of clubs to vote this through.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193
Sunderland and Peterborough will kick off too. Could get messy.

ryancooper327

ryancooper327

Full text:

The EFL Board met yesterday to consider the feedback and subsequent implications of last week’s Divisional Club meetings, as the League continues to address the many complex financial and operational matters resulting out of the COVID-19 crisis, including how the 2019/20 campaign is concluded.

The various proposals and counter proposals received from Clubs have been reviewed and, as a result, the Board has finalised the draft framework that would be adopted into EFL Regulations, in the event a division is to make the decision to curtail its season as League Two indicated last Friday.

Clubs are now required to give the matter further consideration, before the Board formally proposes the appropriate Regulation changes, which will then be voted on by all Clubs.

The recommended framework is as follows:

1. Resuming the 2019/20 season with the existing format remains the most appropriate course of action from a sporting integrity perspective, but the Board accepts there are circumstances that may lead to curtailment, (as has been demonstrated with League Two) or a situation subsequently transpires whereby the season is unable to conclude.

2. This means that in the event of an early curtailment:
    1. Final divisional placings should be determined on unweighted points per game (if required).
    2. Promotion and relegation should be retained.
    3. Play-Offs should be played in all circumstances but should not be extended (beyond four teams).
  3. If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action.

4. The Board considers that the majority required to curtail the 2019/20 Season in any division should be 51%. Determining whether or not to curtail the season is a decision for each division to take.

5. The principle of relegation across all three divisions is integral to the integrity of the pyramid, from the Premier League down to the National League, provided we have assurances that the National League will start Season 2020/21 (i.e. the relegated Club in League Two has somewhere to play).

6. Any regulatory solution should be relevant and specific to the current challenges posed by the COVID-19 outbreak and reach a conclusion that is clear and effective with the impact and justifications easy for all stakeholders to understand.
EFL Chair, Rick Parry, said:

“In the event a divisional decision is made to curtail the 2019/20 season, the EFL Board is recommending that the League adopts the original framework with the amendments as identified, as there is a strong desire to remain as faithful as possible to the Regulations and ensure there is consistency in the approach adopted across the EFL in all divisions.

“The Board has always acknowledged that a single solution to satisfy all Clubs would always be hard to find, but we are at the point now where strong, definitive action is need for the good of the League and its members.”

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Suspect they will get the majority, given number of clubs with nothing to play for.

Completely dodges the question of what happens if the play-offs can't be played which is a nonsense. They should decide now on what the contingency would be.

I think we'd have every right to feel utterly robbed if we ended up 5th by a tiny fraction of a point and they decided to then promote the top 4, but for the greater good - possibly we'd have to lump it.

ryancooper327

Suspect they will get the majority, given number of clubs with nothing to play for.

Completely dodges the question of what happens if the play-offs can't be played which is a nonsense. They should decide now on what the contingency would be.

I think we'd have every right to feel utterly robbed if we ended up 5th by a tiny fraction of a point and they decided to then promote the top 4, but for the greater good - possibly we'd have to lump it.
Exactly, I'd hope clubs are told the 'appropriate' course of action before the vote. Although it would only be of interest to 4 teams.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly, I'd hope clubs are told the 'appropriate' course of action before the vote. Although it would only be of interest to 4 teams.
More important is that they tell us when and how the play-offs are going to take place, who is going to pay for them and whether we have the right to refuse to take part if we don't think the arrangements are acceptable; personally I'd rather give the final promotion place to Cheltenham than have to pay a 6 figure sum to take part in the play=offs.
It's a shame there's still such little clarity about the play-offs as the rest of the statement seems to make a lot of sense.

denzel

As to when the play offs will take place, it seems that the Championship is still hoping to finish the season, which won't be until late July at this rate, meaning a new season starting in September. Given the need for League One and then Two to fall in this would suggest the playoffs can easily be played in July.

dontpassback

Whatever happens at the end of all this,I feel sure that the legal beagles will be busy on behalf of Stevenage,posh,Barnsley and charlton etc,the lawyers will get their wedge,but what it will cost the clubs involved who knows ?

Red Devon

After today’s EFL statement is it now looking likely that there will be relegation in League Two?