• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We would get absolutely rinsed in league one.....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
For the record I don't think we should fear league 1, my point is about how we are generally as a side, i.e. the negative tactics, sitting back early on in games waiting for things to happen and the lack of pace throughout our side, these aspects would have to change for us to compete.

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
There'd be some new players, I suppose one down side about going into league 1 is that it becomes harder to blood our own kids.

Well-known Exeweb poster
There'd be some new players, I suppose one down side about going into league 1 is that it becomes harder to blood our own kids.
yeah.. thats defo a down side.. but on the positive if they do come through and shine, cant do their transfer value and appeal any harm..

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Fair to say the current team or squad would struggle in league 1 - given we've lost 13 at league 2 level you would imagine we would lose more at a higher standard - but we wouldn't be alone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair to say the current team or squad would struggle in league 1 - given we've lost 13 at league 2 level you would imagine we would lose more at a higher standard - but we wouldn't be alone
yeah if we do go up, think the overall aim for the first season is to lose less than those around you, as opposed to this season where the focus is to win more than those around us.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Look, let’s concentrate on getting there first before we start worrying about our chances.

Ian Tarr

I do think the quality of League One is not quite so much better than League Two as it has demonstrably been in the past.

Of course it's better, but by how much?

Did anyone see Lincoln beat Shrewsbury today? One of the top sides from each of the divisions. Was there a noticeable difference in standard between the two sides? (Apart from the fact that Lincoln were better?)

Only one game, of course. But looking at the FA Cup this season, there were sixteen ties featuring one team from each of the two divisions. The results? Nine wins for League Two against seven for League One. Not conclusive evidence of anything, of course, but maybe an indication that the gap is not that large.

As John William says, league handouts are larger in the league above (it was about 50% more two or three season ago). Our budget could also be augmented by a decent tribunal result.

I enjoyed our football last season more than this, but despite the reduction in entertainment the results are comparable. Quality is not always about passing teams to death. This season we seem to have other attributes to compensate.

I for one would not fear League One were we to get there.

PeteUSA

I think its patently evident that we're where we are in the table because of sheer determination, and the will to not lay down and give up - like v Cambridge. In reality though, our team is very average and they dont play very entertaining football to watch. IMHO this is the reason our attendances being lousy given our league position. You can pat Tisdale on the back all you like, but the standard of football his team is serving up is poor. In all the past promotions we've had over many years, we've never had a team of such a low ability standard as the current one.

Saint James

I think its patently evident that we're where we are in the table because of sheer determination, and the will to not lay down and give up - like v Cambridge. In reality though, our team is very average and they dont play very entertaining football to watch. IMHO this is the reason our attendances being lousy given our league position. You can pat Tisdale on the back all you like, but the standard of football his team is serving up is poor. In all the past promotions we've had over many years, we've never had a team of such a low ability standard as the current one.
To be fair the 'quality' of the current squad is reflected on very honestly by Matt Oakley in this interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsrTdkF2ic I think he has it spot on in basically saying this season's squad is more physical and has had to adapt to playing a different way. I think Tis has done wonders getting the results he has this season. Would we struggle in League One? I think we are better placed to give it a go than last time but need strengthening significantly in midfield. Would love to see it happening mind

grecIAN Harris

You build a squad to get you up from the division you're in and then rebuild for the one you get to. Some will stay and some will go. There's no point trying to judge this seasons squad against how you think they might have performed in this seasons League 1 because some of those involved this season might not have been here.