• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We would get absolutely rinsed in league one.....

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would say Taylor and Moxey have consistently been 2 if our better players this season.
How you put them in the same sentence as TAH is unreal. Both of them could step up to League One without any problem, it’s not a great step up.
Taylor has played nearly 100 games for us in the last two seasons and probably plays through niggles when some of our other players at the drop of a hat miss games!
He is the current Captain, has scored 3 in the last 4 at the crucial time of the season but for some reason the fans don’t warm to him?
Maybe if he was ‘one of our own’ things would be different?.......
Although it's not a great step up the last time a City Tis' team was promoted we were saved from relegation on the last day of the season with that great victory against Huddersfield.

arthur

This.

Teams need a player in the Tillson role. He's no Grimes and will never be the player the kids want autographs from, but he's a big part of the team. IMO he's actually a better footballer than he's given credit for; and because he does the role he is asked to do by the manager, playing simple passes and cutting out opposition ones, he gives others (especially Taylor and Boateng) more freedom. I think someone analysed that we gain significantly more points when he plays than when he's out.
IMHO one of the most important positions on the pitch. 5 players in front and 5 players behind - this is the fulcrum around which the whole team is balanced. If Tillson is not judged to be up to it then we need to find/identify someone who is...

STURTZ

Not a great Tilson fan, think he works in the right areas but we should be able to pick up a strong tackling midfield player that can pass the ball, shoot and show a bit more presence on the pitch.

hardi2b

Not a great Tilson fan, think he works in the right areas but we should be able to pick up a strong tackling midfield player that can pass the ball, shoot and show a bit more presence on the pitch.
Thanks Strurtz this encapsulates my opinion nicely. Tilson may be a competent "disrupt-or " but shows a lack of technical creativity so sorely needed.

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
When Tillson has done his job and the ball is at his feet he just has to give it to one of the others. If he could do that regularly he'd be the new David Batty. He doesn't need to be creative he just needs to hand possession over to someone who is.

hardi2b

Respectfully Billy: Why should we "make do" the facts speak for themselves Tllson isn't the "new David Batty" nor does he show indication of being, why should we not find someone (not Ryan Harley who has no clue about tackling an opponent) that has a creative flair as well as being a "competent disrupt-or"? Croll has more in that regard IMO.

PeteUSA

IMHO one of the most important positions on the pitch. 5 players in front and 5 players behind - this is the fulcrum around which the whole team is balanced. If Tillson is not judged to be up to it then we need to find/identify someone who is...
I would argue that. The most important position in the team is goalkeeper. A keeper can make or break a team. If the rest of the players know that their keeper is suspect, they'll go into a game with a defeatist attitude. We dont have a problem in that department this season, but its been a long time since that could be said.

Matt Russell

I would argue that. The most important position in the team is goalkeeper. A keeper can make or break a team. If the rest of the players know that their keeper is suspect, they'll go into a game with a defeatist attitude. We dont have a problem in that department this season, but its been a long time since that could be said.
Weren't you arguing that he should be replaced by Paul Jones only the other week? How does that square with not having a problem in the goalkeeping department? You could be accused of "tinkering" if you behaved like that as a manager!

PeteUSA

Weren't you arguing that he should be replaced by Paul Jones only the other week? How does that square with not having a problem in the goalkeeping department? You could be accused of "tinkering" if you behaved like that as a manager!
Without wishing to encourage Tisdale to start "tinkering", I think we're in the fortunate position of having two keepers with very similar attributes: I dont theres an awful lot between them. I thought the Lincoln game was crying out for a Jonah call-up, since I believe he would have better dealt with the near full house atmosphere. Tisdale left well alone, and quite frankly I thought Pym had a mare. He has however more than attoned for that game since.

Matt Russell

Which leads me to think that either our manager was right to leave Christy Pym in place at Lincoln..............unless you would have replaced him just for the "full house atmosphere" game there, or that Paul Jones should have played there and against Cheltenham and Cambridge and still be our No.1. You said you're not in favour of chopping and changing the "most important position in the team" so which is it? Also be interested to know how you're able to judge the qualities of the present day Paul Jones - I've not seen him play for years, what about you?