• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

We would get absolutely rinsed in league one.....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've always felt that the bottom 8-10 of league one, league 2 and the top 8 of the conference (national league) aren't to dissimilar in overall quality.
I'd consider you to be very wrong.

Exe on Valdez

The style of football that we have been playing since Stockley arrived has got us where we are in L2, by scraping through match after match. I think that if we do go up, playing that way we will be made to look pretty stupid by L1 teams. We will have to adapt. I am not sure that at the moment we have the personnel to play in a different way and still be effective.

If we go up, the close season will be the time to deal with that, depending on the Ampadu money and who is in charge of course.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Let's not forget that we've been up there before and Tisdale (assuming he is still here) would be better prepared for league 1 footy a second time around we'd hope.

IndoMike

At the moment I'd say Woodman, James, Simpson, Harley and Tilson would struggle struggle in Div 1 while Taylor, Sweeney, Troy AH and Moxey might be very average. I don't think it's likely that we can survive in Div 1 without at least 3 or 4 additions of at least similar quality to our current best players.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
We would have to hope the big boys don't come along stripping us of our stars too. Their greedy eyes could already be on Stockley, Pym, JMT and Storey.

IndoMike

We would have to hope the big boys don't come along stripping us of our stars too. Their greedy eyes could already be on Stockley, Pym, JMT and Storey.
We need to make sure our best players have a good contract so that we're not asset-stripped

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a fact of life though. I would predict that plenty of Stanley players will be offski this summer.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the moment I'd say Woodman, James, Simpson, Harley and Tilson would struggle struggle in Div 1 while Taylor, Sweeney, Troy AH and Moxey might be very average. I don't think it's likely that we can survive in Div 1 without at least 3 or 4 additions of at least similar quality to our current best players.
I agree about Woodman, James and Simpson not being up to League One. Harley would only be a bench player anyway so I am not too concerned with him. I do however disagree with your views on Tilson. I actually think he would shine in Div 1 as he is exactly the sort of player that a team needs at that level. Not much quality on the ball, but reads the game really well and is a tough tackler. He reminds me so much of Berti Cozic who looked decidedly average in the conference, but went on to be a key player in Div 1.

IndoMike

I agree about Woodman, James and Simpson not being up to League One. Harley would only be a bench player anyway so I am not too concerned with him. I do however disagree with your views on Tilson. I actually think he would shine in Div 1 as he is exactly the sort of player that a team needs at that level. Not much quality on the ball, but reads the game really well and is a tough tackler. He reminds me so much of Berti Cozic who looked decidedly average in the conference, but went on to be a key player in Div 1.
He's got mixed review this season. Many posters agree that he breaks up play well but isn't so smart at distribution. I'm sure he'll be with us next season anyway, so we'll find out.

STURTZ

Woodman's a classy player who has had a good season, age might be against him but I still think he'd be useful squad player.