• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC England - Overrated?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’ll go by what Gareth Southgate thinks. And Guardiola, the England squad and Manchester City’s squad over a bunch of armchair experts and pub cloggers who think they know Sterling better than the professionals. As for the OP, the worst we can be in a week’s time is officially the fourth best team on the planet. Over rated - nah, don’t think so, not now.
It's like all those amateur experts on the SJP works update thread. Think they know better than a large, trusted construction company. Makes you laugh, dunnit?

Antony Moxey

It's like all those amateur experts on the SJP works update thread. Think they know better than a large, trusted construction company. Makes you laugh, dunnit?
No, not really. There are many people here as knowledgeable as those large, trusted construction companies because they work for similar large, trusted construction companies in roles that make them well qualified to comment on the points that they comment on. Plus, just because you might work for a large, trusted construction company it doesn’t mean you know any more than a small construction company employee, it just means there are more of you doing that job.

As far as I’m aware there are no regular - or irregular - posters on here who have played football professionally to a high level or managed a team to Premier League or international level. So no, I don’t think it’s like it at all.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Overrated or underrated doesn't really matter to me. Before the competition kicked off I couldn't have given two hoots about it or how England got on fully expecting a depressing hoolie-fest and an equally dire performance from the team over hyped by the media.

Instead it has been a great World Cup and our national team has been one to be proud of. Top marks England , here's one who's back on board so thank you for that.

IndoMike

Overrated or underrated doesn't really matter to me. Before the competition kicked off I couldn't have given two hoots about it or how England got on fully expecting a depressing hoolie-fest and an equally dire performance from the team over hyped by the media.

Instead it has been a great World Cup and our national team has been one to be proud of. Top marks England , here's one who's back on board so thank you for that.
Obviously agree with most of that. The boys have done well. And it has been a really good World Cup : many exciting games and England's achievements, too. I honestly think we'll beat Croatia, too. Nothing like the confidence of youth.

Red Devon

Don’t see anything great about getting to the semi finals from that side of the draw at all....if we had got there from the other half it would have been a fantastic achievement!!!...but not by beating Tunisia, Panama, Columbia on pens and a championship team like Sweden...was very impressed with Maguire, Trippier, Pickford...disappointed with Deli & Jesse and Harry who did precious little apart from the spot...still a long way behind France, Belgium, Brazil, Spain, Germany and a few others too despite getting to the semi’s

Last edited:

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe but I feel that the gap has closed a bit.

elginCity

...don't want to put a downer on things but when I hear pundits like Frank Lampard saying we can go all the way then I reach for the bottle.
You'd think he'd know better.

Overrated ? By the media and pundits, most definitely.

tavyred

There's been a sea change in the way the international team is run, we no longer pick a premier league all stars eleven and thanks to St Georges Park and Southgate the development of the senior side is much more linked to the younger age group teams. The future is looking brighter in my view.

Terryhall

Speaking to a lot of neutrals today at work - they all agree that Croatia won it deservedly but they all agree that if managed properly this England side will be a force in 2020 and 2022. I think suggesting we had an easy route is disrespectful to the likes of Colombia (who comprehensively dismantled Poland, who were playing the same system we do) and Croatia (who, lets not forget, whipped Argentina 3-0 in the group phase).

Last night is only the 2nd time ever that an England side has taken the lead in a World Cup semi final. That's not a small achievement however you frame it.

Croatia deserved to win yesterday (and incidentally Croatia v France looks like being a tasty match in the final) but overall, I think England have done better than many fans expected at the start of the tournament.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well we know the answer to this now.