• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WC 2022 Yay or "Meh"

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, lucky draws were at the center of it.

In the WC 2018, England struggled to beat Tunisia before beating a pub team in Panama. They then lost to Belgium before again struggling to beat Columbia to then get an easyish tie against Sweden.

In the Euros it was much the same. Couldn't beat Scotland at home. A good result against Germany, but then they're showing how far they've fallen. Ukraine were dead on their feet, then they struggled against a mediocre Denmark only getting through on a dodgy pen. Italy on the other side of the draw did the more impressive hard work and deserved to win the Final.

Mancini must've watched England's WC semi vs Croatia many times, because Southgate approached the Italy game in exactly the same manner and was found out. He couldn't adapt to Mancini's superior tacticianship.

England have to beat at least one big team this time to get to the final. No easy draw this time whichever way you look at it. I suspect they'll go out at the qtr final stage, semis at a push.
Center? What sort of English word is that?
You can only beat what's in front of you, as the old cliche goes.

Mr Jinx

You can only beat what's in front of you, As for "Luck of the draw" You'll have to ask UEFA/FIFA to change their ranking system to make them different.
Don't know how you change it to make sure no-one has a lucky draw. At least one team always will. And twice that team has been England. And twice they blew it. Once on home soil.

DB9

Don't know how you change it to make sure no-one has a lucky draw. At least one team always will. And twice that team has been England. And twice they blew it. Once on home soil.
The draw itself is totally random, Its where the ranking balls go into the pot that might need to be looked at, Take our group in this WC, All the teams in it are top 20 ranked, Do you think they're all worth that ranking?

Mr Jinx

The draw itself is totally random, Its where the ranking balls go into the pot that might need to be looked at, Take our group in this WC, All the teams in it are top 20 ranked, Do you think they're all worth that ranking?
FIFA rankings are bunkum.

iscalad

You are Henry Ford and I claim my £5.

DB9

We all know that, I was sick of Brazil always being top even though they weren't winning much but that is how the groups are determined and we play in groups relating to those rankings so England play only what's in front of you so its not "Luck" they've been close at recent competitions.

Antony Moxey

No, lucky draws were at the center of it.

In the WC 2018, England struggled to beat Tunisia before beating a pub team in Panama. They then lost to Belgium before again struggling to beat Columbia to then get an easyish tie against Sweden.

In the Euros it was much the same. Couldn't beat Scotland at home. A good result against Germany, but then they're showing how far they've fallen. Ukraine were dead on their feet, then they struggled against a mediocre Denmark only getting through on a dodgy pen. Italy on the other side of the draw did the more impressive hard work and deserved to win the Final.

Mancini must've watched England's WC semi vs Croatia many times, because Southgate approached the Italy game in exactly the same manner and was found out. He couldn't adapt to Mancini's superior tacticianship.

England have to beat at least one big team this time to get to the final. No easy draw this time whichever way you look at it. I suspect they'll go out at the qtr final stage, semis at a push.
Good grief! Do you walk with a limp or have you got a chip on each shoulder to balance things up? You really do seem inexplicably bitter - did Southgate have an affair with your wife or something?

Antony Moxey

Wales, As was in the late 90's/Early 2000's they had Giggs as their Talisman but he was very "Choosy" about the games he played for Wales, Its the same this time with Bale, Take both out of each Welsh team and you have a Championship team at best, Bale doesn't perform nor does Wales.
There’s no way Wales are, or ever have been, Championship standard. Seriously, I think we’d give them a good run for their money.

DB9

There’s no way Wales are, or ever have been, Championship standard. Seriously, I think we’d give them a good run for their money.
I did say "At best"

Mr Jinx

Good grief! Do you walk with a limp or have you got a chip on each shoulder to balance things up? You really do seem inexplicably bitter - did Southgate have an affair with your wife or something?
I'll stand corrected if England beat one of France, Spain, Brazil or Argentina in this WC. Until that time...