• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Walsall v Exeter City matchday thread

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some people are being very harsh on Ward imho. Since he has come back into the side I don't think many of the goals we have conceded have been his fault, whilst he may not be at the level he was prior to his injury he is still doing a decent enough job.

Maxted made a shed load of mistakes during his run in the first team.

Some people have memories shorter than Matt Jay.
That may be the case, and I don't necessarily think he's to blame, but Ward now hasn't kept a clean sheet in his last 11 league games stretching back to September.

In the five games before he got injured, Maxted had four clean sheets.

Surely that's more than a coincidence?

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
That may be the case, and I don't necessarily think he's to blame, but Ward now hasn't kept a clean sheet in his last 11 league games stretching back to September.

In the five games before he got injured, Maxted had four clean sheets.

Surely that's more than a coincidence?
It’s a fair point. What’s more, in Maxted’s last 16 starts we lost just once.

Of course, there’s more to it than who’s between the sticks, but can’t help thinking if Maxted was fit he’d be starting.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some people are being very harsh on Ward imho. Since he has come back into the side I don't think many of the goals we have conceded have been his fault, whilst he may not be at the level he was prior to his injury he is still doing a decent enough job.

Maxted made a shed load of mistakes during his run in the first team.

Some people have memories shorter than Matt Jay.
Agree and to be fair have not seen Ward drop too many clangers but you cannot get away from it whether coincidence or not he have been sloppy defensively ever since losing Johnny’s services.

dontpassback

I think maxted exudes confidence ,unfortunately I don’t think ward has the same presence and we need a keeper who bosses his area,Ward doesn’t do that .

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think maxted exudes confidence ,unfortunately I don’t think ward has the same presence and we need a keeper who bosses his area,Ward doesn’t do that .

I see it as totally the other way around. Prior to his long term injury, Ward totally exuded confidence in every game, so much so that his confidence and mere presence spread thoughout the team. Many of us were asking how we got hold of a keeper of his standing, suggesting he was the best since Kevin Miller (the first time). Maxted by comparison seemed to have little or no connection with the rest of the defence, and seemed to do the job alone in a very laboured fashion. He let us down badly in his earlier games, and although he improved prior to his own injury, he is not in the same class generally as Ward. They are both poor off of their line to an advancing forward, but I dont think that'll ever change.

dontpassback

I see it as totally the other way around. Prior to his long term injury, Ward totally exuded confidence in every game, so much so that his confidence and mere presence spread thoughout the team. Many of us were asking how we got hold of a keeper of his standing, suggesting he was the best since Kevin Miller (the first time). Maxted by comparison seemed to have little or no connection with the rest of the defence, and seemed to do the job alone in a very laboured fashion. He let us down badly in his earlier games, and although he improved prior to his own injury, he is not in the same class generally as Ward. They are both poor off of their line to an advancing forward, but I dont think that'll ever change.
Keepers generally don’t come out and narrow the angle like they used to pete,when I watch highlights of many games and the striker is through,I’m thinking where is the keeper but perhaps it’s the modern coaching etc

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was a disappointing result, but Walsall have improved recently, and even though we were apparently dire in the first half another ref might well have not disallowed our second "goal" ,we would have probably brought home the three points, and everyone would have been satisfied. Such is football.
Difficult to put your finger on why we have struggled a bit recently. Can't imagine that the players would prefer the playoffs to autos. I'm sure they're trying hard.
Maybe they are a bit stale or tired.
Maybe constant changes to.the starting eleven is not serving them well.
Maybe nerves? Maybe we're too predictable. Losing Sparkes didn't help.
Our midfielders are neat and tidy but there's not much speed or dynamism there.
And Matt is probably disappointed that the Bowman /Ajose combo is not working.
And like it or not, IIRC when Lee Martin was in the team I think overall we got better results, possibly due to the pressing he does.
Anyway, it s not clicking, but I think many of us would have settled for the playoffs at the start of the season. Personally I think that's where we'll end up . It's not easy to turn around a longish blip, but the table says we're only 3 points away from the autos and things can still improve.
Football is a collective game, so Matt, the senior players and the squad all need to take some responsibility and up their game.
PS. IINM Randall played well against Ipswich and Pompey. I thought he'd get some game time, but it hasn't happened.

So players can’t be sold or released?

Are you sure you know how football runs or contracts work?
If the players ‘aren’t doing much to help’ then, if your humble opinion, other clubs are hardly going to come knocking on the door and if a player is under you want to pay up the remainder of a players contract (which we won’t ) they can be released.
That’s how it works..... I know, thank you.
So players can’t be sold or released?

Are you sure you know how football runs or contracts work?
😂😂

i8cornwall

If the players ‘aren’t doing much to help’ then, if your humble opinion, other clubs are hardly going to come knocking on the door and if a player is under you want to pay up the remainder of a players contract (which we won’t ) they can be released.
That’s how it works..... I know, thank you.

😂😂
There will always be a club lower down with a few quid looking for a player, let’s be honest we sold James to Forest Green but then again you knew that. Can’t imagine every player that started today will be under contact for next season but again you knew that, we could loan a few of the under performing players out but yet again you knew ghat.....actually while your at the I’m so smart game what will next Saturdays loto numbers be?

Saddler

Looks offside to me. I'm still looking for the defender on the back post