• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Villa v Sheffield utd

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
David Luis has all the physical attributes of a world class defender combined with the awareness and decision making capability of pickled vegetable.

Legohead

Banned
David Luis has all the physical attributes of a world class defender combined with the awareness and decision making capability of pickled vegetable.
Replace pickled vegetable with Boris Johnson and you'd be not far wrong.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was a clear goal. What happened there with goal line technology? Shocking
Wow..Just seen that on SSN...I know the ref relies on the technology to say if the ball has crossed the line,but surely one of the match officials must have seen it was a ‘goal’
It reminded me of a driver who blindly followed a Sat Nav instruction into a river because the technology told her to.

Absolute fkcu up,which could be costly for a few teams come the end of the season.

GJW

Wow..Just seen that on SSN...I know the ref relies on the technology to say if the ball has crossed the line,but surely one of the match officials must have seen it was a ‘goal’
It reminded me of a driver who blindly followed a Sat Nav instruction into a river because the technology told her to.

Absolute fkcu up,which could be costly for a few teams come the end of the season.
I thought they could check the video footage at any time. It was so obvious to everyone on the pitch. It would have taken 1 minute.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I thought they could check the video footage at any time. It was so obvious to everyone on the pitch. It would have taken 1 minute.
Indeed..The ref has a ear piece.
Probably a protocol in place to stop that happening,daft really,if technology is to be used,use it fully or not at all.

Legohead

Banned
To be fair to the ref, the goal line technology system has yet to fail so it's unlikely that Michael Oliver would have suspected anything despite clear aggrievances from the Blades players. The ref probably just thought that players always protest to get decisions anyway therefore it was simply a case of them protesting and him trusting the technology, which had never failed before.

So he had no reason to take another look at the decision on a monitor as he trusted the decision of the tech.

My issue with the situation is like Olds says, the ref has an ear piece. Surely someone watching the game who he is connected up to would have seen that ball go behind the line and the ensuing uproar and tipped off Mr Oliver to go and have a look at the decision again because something was amiss. This could have been done quickly and the goal then rightly given. End of controversy. The ref makes his decision then based on what he sees with his own eyes on the screen backed up by reports of the tech failing. Pretty simple stuff really.

I think in many ways the decision was a foul up of the highest order by ALL officials and not just the ref and personally i would suspend the lot. The integrity of the season has been further tarnished.

Reactions: GJW