• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Very clever idea?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hate to say it but the chiefs commercial team do it well
It helps that they are one of the best rugby teams in the UK !

Also why do you hate to say it, we shouldn't have any issues with them.

With regards to a pop up shop, I can't see the point myself, we just need to get the best out of our club shop and online, Facebook, Twitter etc etc.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Isn't the Near post still trading?
If you mean the FAR POST and wish to visit it, take a pick and shovel along and start digging under "Coal" !

GJW

Get a small area in one of the large supermarkets (Tesco, etc.). Everyone goes shopping for food. Best place for high Exeter footfall.

dontpassback

Get a small area in one of the large supermarkets (Tesco, etc.). Everyone goes shopping for food. Best place for high Exeter footfall.
Similar sort of unit like timpsons have outside the supermarkets,but wether it would be financially viable is another thing!

GJW

Similar sort of unit like timpsons have outside the supermarkets,but wether it would be financially viable is another thing!
Coventry City club shop is in The large Tesco, next to the Ricoh Arena. Works for them.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Out of interest what kind of revenues would you anticipate getting ?

Personally I cannot see the profit covering the rent, staffing etc etc.

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Coventry City club shop is in The large Tesco, next to the Ricoh Arena. Works for them.
Hardly a like for like example.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Does anyone have quick access to our existing revenues from merchandise etc ?

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member

I'm not being disparaging to anyone, but...

So many people don't understand that the club shop is probably offering more of a service to us than it is a genuine revenue stream. I'm not saying it makes a loss, just that the margins involved and quantities we are likely to sell make it just that.

I'd wager that most people likely to buy from any pop up would be inclined to buy from the club shop anyway, and most of those that wouldn't would not be looking at high value items anyway. I'm lucky enough to have been involved in sports equipment/clothing for several years, and part of that time selling into football/rugby club shops.

We sold a load of clothing into Portsmouth, over several years, growing and growing the account. Then they went bust. All that time, all that money. All totally worthless.

So, as you can see, any manufacturer has to have a very high margin, clubs like ours aren't offered generous terms (why would they be, it's about as high risk as you can get) and that's even if terms were to be offered. A lot of suppliers would operate on a pro forma basis due to the risk anyway. Just ask anyone involved with the club back in the real dark days of 2003. They'll tell you how hard it was.

Unless you have a retailer in the city centre prepared to offer space and service for free, it really hasn't any merit at all. And as TPC says, the rugby club is now one of the most succesful and well known in the country. They also have no city centre presence, whilst we are a 5 minute walk from Princesshay. Apples and pears, and all that.

Last edited:

hienzeECFC

Hence the idea for a vending machine