• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Vaccine found 90% successful

InTheBigBank

Resigned
I am thinking in a similar vein (!) and would be very cautious about introducing something into my body which hasn't been proven. I've never had a flu jab and yet never had flu colours my thoughts and questions such as supposing the virus has mutated and the vaccine has lost it's already limited effectiveness (90%? What use is that to the other 10%?) would be of interest. Already seen facebook postings linking the largely new vaccine with terrible consequences, something that is bound to arise given the nature of social media. Wonder whether this vaccine will be compulsary?
Nothing is ever 'no-risk', but the public have been duped during this pandemic into believing life should be.

Like masks and little arrows telling you which way to walk around a shop, it makes people feel secure that the government is doing something, anything to stop microscopic particles passing from person to person through the air; something which has happened since humans began roaming the Earth. I mean, if you stop and think about it for a moment it just seems a ridiculous notion.

The fact they even managed to develop a vaccine that is 90% effective is staggering, but I don't think its effectiveness is all that important in the grand scheme of things; I think the most important thing for a lot of people is this is seen as the holy grail in making sure they are now safe, and can continue life as normal.

Herd immunity was the only way out of this, but when you consider only 10 million out of 66 million are going to have the vaccine - and even for those who have it is not a guarantee of getting not getting sick - the majority of us are going to have to catch it and develop immunity naturally.

That is of course unless they decide that 'we need to keep lockdowns/restrictions in place until every single person in the UK is vaccinated'. Which at this point I do have my fears might happen.

I also wonder how on earth we're going to reverse nearly a year of conditioning telling us that it's no longer safe to be within 2m of someone, not wear a mask, go to football, obsessively disinfect hands etc.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
The vaccine could just be coronavirus, inject everybody with it, 10% die (which is all they are promising), the rest are left with immunity and society returns to normal, seems plausible if a little desperate.

Alistair20000

Nothing is ever 'no-risk', but the public have been duped during this pandemic into believing life should be.

Like masks and little arrows telling you which way to walk around a shop, it makes people feel secure that the government is doing something, anything to stop microscopic particles passing from person to person through the air; something which has happened since humans began roaming the Earth. I mean, if you stop and think about it for a moment it just seems a ridiculous notion.

The fact they even managed to develop a vaccine that is 90% effective is staggering, but I don't think its effectiveness is all that important in the grand scheme of things; I think the most important thing for a lot of people is this is seen as the holy grail in making sure they are now safe, and can continue life as normal.

Herd immunity was the only way out of this, but when you consider only 10 million out of 66 million are going to have the vaccine - and even for those who have it is not a guarantee of getting not getting sick - the majority of us are going to have to catch it and develop immunity naturally.

That is of course unless they decide that 'we need to keep lockdowns/restrictions in place until every single person in the UK is vaccinated'. Which at this point I do have my fears might happen.

I also wonder how on earth we're going to reverse nearly a year of conditioning telling us that it's no longer safe to be within 2m of someone, not wear a mask, go to football, obsessively disinfect hands etc.
For ages now as a country the prevailing attitude has been that "its not safe" to do all manner of things. This despite the virus taking lives of people with an average age of 82 or so and a death rate so far of around 0.07% of the population.

I am certainly not convinced that it is "safe" at present to have this particular injection given that it has been rushed out.

Watch for this narrative: "Vaccine round the corner folks. This means we need to keep lots of restrictions in place until the programme of vaccination has been completed. Follow the science (but only one interpretation of it), stay home, save the NHS, save lives. We won't tell you about the disastrous long term costs in case it scares you to death"

Mr Jinx

The vaccine could just be coronavirus, inject everybody with it, 10% die (which is all they are promising), the rest are left with immunity and society returns to normal, seems plausible if a little desperate.
What isn't desperate at this juncture?

Alistair20000

What isn't desperate at this juncture?
Does it really have to be "desperate" Jinxy ?

Mr Jinx

Does it really have to be "desperate" Jinxy ?
Tell me what isn't? I'm being told Focused Protection is desperate, then a staggered vaccine is desperate, etc, etc. I, for one, am out of ideas.

Alistair20000

Tell me what isn't? I'm being told Focused Protection is desperate, then a staggered vaccine is desperate, etc, etc. I, for one, am out of ideas.
Focused Protection is rational and not desperate. The tried and tested way of dealing with viral pandemics and the current exercise in social and health engineering has not been seen to offer a better solution.

Mr Jinx

Focused Protection is rational and not desperate.
I hear you brother. But you and me are in the minority; generally viewed with derision and seen as somewhere between cavalier & coookey, with flavours of conspiracy.

fred binneys head

Weirdos

🤣

STURTZ

Just waiting for Boris to announce that the new vaccine will be administered to the citizens of Liverpool first.