- Feb 3, 2010
Nothing is ever 'no-risk', but the public have been duped during this pandemic into believing life should be.I am thinking in a similar vein (!) and would be very cautious about introducing something into my body which hasn't been proven. I've never had a flu jab and yet never had flu colours my thoughts and questions such as supposing the virus has mutated and the vaccine has lost it's already limited effectiveness (90%? What use is that to the other 10%?) would be of interest. Already seen facebook postings linking the largely new vaccine with terrible consequences, something that is bound to arise given the nature of social media. Wonder whether this vaccine will be compulsary?
Like masks and little arrows telling you which way to walk around a shop, it makes people feel secure that the government is doing something, anything to stop microscopic particles passing from person to person through the air; something which has happened since humans began roaming the Earth. I mean, if you stop and think about it for a moment it just seems a ridiculous notion.
The fact they even managed to develop a vaccine that is 90% effective is staggering, but I don't think its effectiveness is all that important in the grand scheme of things; I think the most important thing for a lot of people is this is seen as the holy grail in making sure they are now safe, and can continue life as normal.
Herd immunity was the only way out of this, but when you consider only 10 million out of 66 million are going to have the vaccine - and even for those who have it is not a guarantee of getting not getting sick - the majority of us are going to have to catch it and develop immunity naturally.
That is of course unless they decide that 'we need to keep lockdowns/restrictions in place until every single person in the UK is vaccinated'. Which at this point I do have my fears might happen.
I also wonder how on earth we're going to reverse nearly a year of conditioning telling us that it's no longer safe to be within 2m of someone, not wear a mask, go to football, obsessively disinfect hands etc.