• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

V for Vendetta

Mackster

Interesting film about a man who dresses as Guy Fawkes and mobilises the people to overthrow a fictional British Facist Government

Now the Guy Fawkes mask used in the film has been adopted by anti-establishment protestors around the world. Not bad work for a fella who has been dead over 400 years and good to know all his efforts weren't in vain.

I can only see sales increasing in the run up to Nov 5th which is great news for Warner Bros who owns the product.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15359735

Leg

I noticed on the One Show last night that they were being worn by those people who cycle around and tell motorists that they're about to commit parking offences so they don't get caught.

It seems unlikely, but it would be nice to think that the majority of people who wear them are conscious of what happened on 5 November 1605. Otherwise, it just becomes a symbol detached entirely from any of its original meaning.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Anonymity is a very useful tool during protests and was bordering on necessary when they were used in the Scientology protests due to the "church"'s smear tactics.

The 5/11/1605 meaning isn't necessarily important anymore - symbols often take on entirely new meanings and I think that's definitely happened now.

Leg

The 5/11/1605 meaning isn't necessarily important anymore - symbols often take on entirely new meanings and I think that's definitely happened now.
True and its interesting when it happens.