• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

InTheBigBank

Resigned
The charade is that this has become a “let us not get blamed for this Covid fecker and especially for the deaths.”

Politicians hide behind the so called “science” which in truth is mathematical modelling by people like Ferguson who has been wrong in everything he has modelled for years.

With the government saying they it is following “the science” the scientists/modellers are bound to take an ultra cautious approach and recommend continuing restrictions. Otherwise they will get the blame if hospitalisations and deaths tick up
I think this is it.

I believe policy was based on the IFR being around 3%. We now know it’s between 0.1 & 0.5%

Also studies have failed to find any meaningful instance of asymptomatic spread.

But the media driven hysteria has taken grip so hard, and government response so heavily scrutinised that they can’t turn the clocks back now.

Imagine the backlash should Johnson and Whitty come out and say ‘sorry folks, we dropped a massive *******, this Covid is nowhere near as deadly as we first thought, and if you’re not showing symptoms you can’t spread it, those economy and emotionally devastating lockdowns? Huge mistake, soz.’

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think this is it.

I believe policy was based on the IFR being around 3%. We now know it’s between 0.1 & 0.5%

Also studies have failed to find any meaningful instance of asymptomatic spread.

But the media driven hysteria has taken grip so hard, and government response so heavily scrutinised that they can’t turn the clocks back now.

Imagine the backlash should Johnson and Whitty come out and say ‘sorry folks, we dropped a massive *******, this Covid is nowhere near as deadly as we first thought, and if you’re not showing symptoms you can’t spread it, those economy and emotionally devastating lockdowns? Huge mistake, soz.’
TBH I would not criticise the government much if at at all if they now ‘fessed up to this.

It would come into the category of “we actually got this wrong out of an abundance of caution in very difficult circumstances”

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this is it.

Do we?!

Really?!

Alistair20000

Deaths to IFR is a bad tool as nobody can say with any accuracy how many infections there have been.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Deaths to IFR is a bad tool as nobody can say with any accuracy how many infections there have been.
I don't disagree. It was InTheBigBank who said: 'We now KNOW [IFR] is between 0.1 and 0.5%'.

Alistair20000

I don't disagree. It was InTheBigBank who said: 'We now KNOW [IFR] is between 0.1 and 0.5%'.
Yes understood

IndoMike

tavyred

The UK’s policy toward COVID was (in the end) dictated by its high hospitalisation rate.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
Do we?!

Really?!

Re IFR:

Yes OK, IFR averaged out including the very elderly (sorry to those over 80) and you are at just over 1%, excluding those people it is far less. It is a result of the privileged lifestyle we lead in the West and access to good healthcare that we are living as long as we are. It shouldn't surprise anyone that beyond the age of 80 your risk of death increases sharply, and Covid is one of a number of ills to look out for.

Does that justify locking up the entire nation? Kids, teenagers, young adults..? I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but on the whole, there aren't many people in their eighties and nineties that are highly active within the community beyond nipping out to the shops and tea mornings at a local community hall, before they were made illegal that is.

Re: asymptomatic spread.

That supports my point about there being no meaningful asymptomatic spread shown in studies.

IndoMike

TBH I would not criticise the government much if at at all if they now ‘fessed up to this.

It would come into the category of “we actually got this wrong out of an abundance of caution in very difficult circumstances”
But we have a government that will not admit to ANY mistakes, Ali : one of the many reasons why I don't trust them.
Not admitting to mistakes is tantamount to lying. A sign of extreme insecurity. Not only that : they try to cover up their mistakes : even worse