• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seems sensible and what we are now pursuing hopefully. Lockdowns are a last resort tactic to limit community transmission whilst population immunity takes effect through vaccination.

I note that population immunity through transmission as advocated by The Great Barrington Declaration is considered "scientifically problematic and unethical". I realise that shielding of the vulnerable was put forward but it seems that the data put forward by the herd immunity side of the debate in September that around half the population would have had the virus doesn't match this report which suggests surveys has shown less than 10% globally as of December had been infected. That's before you get into the details of shielding the many millions that are vulnerable.

Of course the kicker in the WHO article is that the extra time given by lockdowns should be made advantage of to the fullest by Governments.
If you want to look at how things are going if you have no lockdown but still have not achieved a decent % of the population that have been vaccinated then look at Brazil, A fruit loop for a President and they are now seeing 4000 deaths a day, Much as the frustration goes about the restrictions a cautious approach has to be the right approach and hopefully by June those that are most at risk will have some protection against serious illness and or deaths from this virus. I know which way i want to go.

IndoMike

If you want to look at how things are going if you have no lockdown but still have not achieved a decent % of the population that have been vaccinated then look at Brazil, A fruit loop for a President and they are now seeing 4000 deaths a day, Much as the frustration goes about the restrictions a cautious approach has to be the right approach and hopefully by June those that are most at risk will have some protection against serious illness and or deaths from this virus. I know which way i want to go.
Exactly. And the weak lockdown in the US.

Rosencrantz

Have had my first workplace LFT this morning (negative). I'm sure who ever designed the tests are pranking us :)
Boris has got to get his money's worth. Over £1 billion so far spent on lateral flow tests.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Boris has got to get his money's worth. Over £1 billion so far spent on lateral flow tests.
The Chinese testing method has to be a lot less uncomfortable!

Rosencrantz

Undoubtedly. Running before you can walk has never been a good thing. Too many voices wanting to open up because the vaccine roll out is going well seem to pass over the fact that vaccination in this case is two jabs. That's summer at the earliest for covering the vulnerable and over 50's.

Reactions: DB9

Rosencrantz

Depends how far you can bend over 😉

DB9

Is that the "Could you bend over please sir" test? :ROFLMAO:

Oldsmobile-88

Is that the "Could you bend over please sir" test? :ROFLMAO:
44738484-7F83-4960-A2D4-8C6FBB501E6A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

angelic upstart

Didn't think The Virtual had a beer garden?
Car park which now has a nice marquee in it.

tavyred

The EU’s favourite authoritarian in Hungary off the back of a better than EU average vaccine rollout looks like he’s going early with his unwind of COVID restrictions. It’ll be interesting to see how it goes.