• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Legohead

Banned
Nothing of the sort Lego.

Emotional blackmail? Give it a break. You always turn everything around so that it's about you, and how hard done by you are.
Actually i want what is reasonable to expect for everyone.

Someone burgles your house so you ring the police. They should come round and provide you with the service you pay for, they are paid to do and for which you are entitled to.

Your house is on fire so you ring the fire brigade. They should come round and provide you with the service you pay for, they are paid to do and for which you are entitled to.

You need an operation so you contact the NHS. They should provide you with the service you pay for, they are paid to do and the service for which you are entitled to.

I really don't care how it's done but the service that not just me, anyone is entitled to and that they pay for and for which people get paid to provide should be supplied.

This is the reality for every organisation except for the NHS it seems. All of a sudden we need to be grateful to the NHS for not providing a service that we pay for.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
What this pandemic exposed was after a decade of austerity, Public services were ruthlessly under funded and under prepared for this, Even the 2017 "Test run for a pandemic" and its findings were totally ignored by May and the now sainted Jeremy Hunt (Who seem's to have forgotten everything he did when in charge of the NHS) This pandemic was not the fault of the Government but its unprepardness was a result of Government policy over a decade and which a lot of those MP's that are still in the HOC's happily voted for, Even as back bench MP's.
It was the result of Tory Govt policy over a decade. Everyone knows that the only thing austerity achieves is to strangle the economy. They didn't learn from the Asian economic crisis of 1998. The IMF has always been pro-austerity, too, and farked up Asia even more than it was already farked up

Rosencrantz

The joy of the written conversation, I completely agree with you on them being exposed. I’m not sure it will put people off, though concede that of course a better package will be more attractive. Whether it’s enough to sway the decision process I don’t know.
Also in the usual smoke and mirrors of government, the 50k additional nurses included 19k nurses already in situ who would stay rather than leave for various reasons. Although the pay deal might not effect new starters, it could well effect retention of those nurses who have gone through the pressures of the last year and feel burnt out as well as kicked in the teeth.

Reactions: DB9

tavyred

From memory the NHS along with education was excused the excesses of the austerity years and initially at least certain areas of the welfare budget were protected too. I read the other day that applications for Nursing and the like had gone through the roof during the pandemic, probably something to do with parlous state of the jobs market in other areas. It remains to seen if the Government’s self induced howler with the 1% pay submission for the pay review body affects retention, I would say not.

IndoMike

"Less than 60 hours before an unprecedented exit permit will be required from outbound travellers, the government has revealed details of the new “Declaration to Travel”.
From Monday 8 March, anyone who enters “a port of departure to travel internationally” in England without a completed form will be committing a criminal offence – even if they are legally entitled to travel".

DB9

From memory the NHS along with education was excused the excesses of the austerity years and initially at least certain areas of the welfare budget were protected too. I read the other day that applications for Nursing and the like had gone through the roof during the pandemic, probably something to do with parlous state of the jobs market in other areas. It remains to seen if the Government’s self induced howler with the 1% pay submission for the pay review body affects retention, I would say not.
I found this, while they've put in money over the years, Not all Dept have had the benefit, Thats how i read it.

They've never "Ring fenced" it and has been subject to cuts in various depts of the NHS, Especially that minefield Social Care.

tavyred

I distinctly remember health, education and perhaps even foreign aid budgets being ringfenced at some point during the austerity era DB. As someone who’s own area of public service had budgets slashed by around 30% at one point, I would remember. 😢

DB9

I distinctly remember health, education and perhaps even foreign aid budgets being ringfenced at some point during the austerity era DB. As someone who’s own area of public service had budgets slashed by around 30% at one point, I would remember. 😢
Honestly all I remember is the pension being protected. I do remember though that so called "Budget Increases" we're not as they seemed and while increasing they were cutting that. But the whole sorry pandemic saga shows that cutting the public services so deeply was too much and has been said before, Not just the NHS but Police, Education etc.

DB9

I do remember the Foreign Aid budget being ring fenced because of all the kerfuffle that went it by the press and others.

Oldsmobile-88

Honestly all I remember is the pension being protected.
Pensions for public service employees were altered around 5 years ago iirc(if under 50 iirc)

They went from Final Salary to Career Average which I believe is not so costly,but of course not quite as good as FS (perhaps one of the financial gurus on here can confirm ?)