• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Legohead

Banned
Yes Mike. Good post and thanks. I don't have a problem with nurses. They are amazing and fantastic and deserve a pay rise no question. My issue is with this increased emotional influencing of people with regard to the NHS.

For example the slogan 'Protect the NHS'.

Nobody is saying that the NHS didn't need protecting in order to stop it being overwhelmed and nobody is saying that many in the NHS have worked under immense pressure, stress and hostile working conditions. What i am saying is that ultimately the NHS is there to protect us and somehow the narrative has been turned on it's head and that now we feel guilty for having illness or conditions that need treating. Many people died due to being guilty about bothering GP's and hospitals during the pandemic.

I just don't think a balance has been struck in the psyche of the British public and the sacrifices that many people who DON'T work for the NHS have made to 'protect the NHS' are seemingly ignored or taken for granted.

This is what is annoying and not the fact that nurses want a pay rise. I want some parity. Importadmin accuses me of being selfish and being all me, me, me but the way i see it, this could also be levelled at some sections of the NHS throughout this pandemic. Not nurses though. Important to stress that.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
If we want this to turn into a ******* contest then yeah it’s been a doddle for my Dad, unable to walk as he’s waiting for a hip replacement, mentally and physically descending into misery as his op gets pushed further and further back.

But so long as those with secure jobs and gold plated pensions get their payrise then marvellous. God bless the saintly NHS and damn those who dare criticise it in any way to hell. What time are we out clapping?
It's nothing to do with the Nurses/Doctors etc, They just work for the system you're complaining about, They work in it, They don't make the decisions about funding/pay etc, Your anger is directed at the wrong people Lego, There was before this a real shortage of Nurses/Doctors, There was even an ad campaign to recruit more, Staffing levels have been cut over the last decade or so and the Covid pandemic showed how unprepared it was, Let alone dealing with waiting lists. The Government have promised to recruit more Doctors/Nurses but that won't happen overnight, It will take several years and this pay rise is going to make those thinking about joining the NHS think twice. Your anger and frustration will only alienate you on here, You are shouting at the wrong people in the NHS.

elginCity

.....I think Johnson is much smarter than I thought : he's actually GAINING in popularity despite the series of fark-ups, the scandals, the blatant and arrogant cronyism (= euphemism for corruption), the lies, the little deceits...It seems like the more he does wrong the more liked he becomes. I can only put this down to Mass Masochism or Total Naivety.......
One for a psychologist - this kind of 'buccaneering' behaviour from the leadership - disregarding political norms, rules, treaties, is obviously exciting and appealing to a lot of people. Whether it lasts beyond the inevitable economic fallout, when the consequences are felt more fully, will be the true test.

A lot of faith has been placed in Johnson, should he fail then by extension his backers have failed too. Perhaps there is some fear behind the blind loyalty ?

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's nothing to do with the Nurses/Doctors etc, They just work for the system you're complaining about, They work in it, They don't make the decisions about funding/pay etc, Your anger is directed at the wrong people Lego, There was before this a real shortage of Nurses/Doctors, There was even an ad campaign to recruit more, Staffing levels have been cut over the last decade or so and the Covid pandemic showed how unprepared it was, Let alone dealing with waiting lists. The Government have promised to recruit more Doctors/Nurses but that won't happen overnight, It will take several years and this pay rise is going to make those thinking about joining the NHS think twice. Your anger and frustration will only alienate you on here, You are shouting at the wrong people in the NHS.
You’re assuming I’m shouting at the doctors and nurses, who frankly do a remarkable job and I think we all agree on that. My beef is actually with the management and inefficiency behind the system, although I appreciate that’s not clear from my post.

I don’t disagree with the rest of your post, but even the 1% payrise will not be dissimilar, or could be better than many other professions (mine included). So I can’t see how that will put people off unless they don’t want to work in any job.

DB9

You’re assuming I’m shouting at the doctors and nurses, who frankly do a remarkable job and I think we all agree on that. My beef is actually with the management and inefficiency behind the system, although I appreciate that’s not clear from my post.

I don’t disagree with the rest of your post, but even the 1% payrise will not be dissimilar, or could be better than many other professions (mine included). So I can’t see how that will put people off unless they don’t want to work in any job.
I did and thought I'd say what you've said, Its not the frontline but higher than that. Sorry Snakes. My own feeling is though is this pandemic and how the frontline staff were exposed to it quite badly and combine that with the pay offer will put off some who were thinking of going into the medical proffesion.

IndoMike

If we want this to turn into a ******* contest then yeah it’s been a doddle for my Dad, unable to walk as he’s waiting for a hip replacement, mentally and physically descending into misery as his op gets pushed further and further back.

But so long as those with secure jobs and gold plated pensions get their payrise then marvellous. God bless the saintly NHS and damn those who dare criticise it in any way to hell. What time are we out clapping?
Post deleted coz no longer relevant.

lamrobhero

"The Long Term Plan signalled the need for a “step change in the recruitment of international nurses." In 2019, there were 51,000 overseas nurses working in the NHS (17% of the nursing workforce), with overseas nurses already making up between 20% to 25% of new joiners since 2012." (From Public Acounts Commitee Report)
Evidence that we are not paying enough?

Legohead

Banned
Just to spell it out, as i have many times on here.

NURSES ARE AMAZING AND DESERVE A PAY RISE

I have never said anything else on exeweb. I hope this clear this up. So i don't care if i alienate anyone who can't read or understand this. That's their lookout. However, the NHS is run badly and is chock full of overpaid managers and pen pushers which is where the issues lie in general and where my issues are.

Successive Governments have cut NHS funding but the massive amounts of funding that they do get is largely spaffed on useless administrators and suit wearing ponces unable to do a proper and effective job. The victims of this, as always are the frontline staff who are the glue that hold everything together and also the patients. Which is what i've said all along.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I did and thought I'd say what you've said, Its not the frontline but higher than that. Sorry Snakes. My own feeling is though is this pandemic and how the frontline staff were exposed to it quite badly and combine that with the pay offer will put off some who were thinking of going into the medical proffesion.
The joy of the written conversation, I completely agree with you on them being exposed. I’m not sure it will put people off, though concede that of course a better package will be more attractive. Whether it’s enough to sway the decision process I don’t know.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

The joy of the written conversation, I completely agree with you on them being exposed. I’m not sure it will put people off, though concede that of course a better package will be more attractive. Whether it’s enough to sway the decision process I don’t know.
What this pandemic exposed was after a decade of austerity, Public services were ruthlessly under funded and under prepared for this, Even the 2017 "Test run for a pandemic" and its findings were totally ignored by May and the now sainted Jeremy Hunt (Who seem's to have forgotten everything he did when in charge of the NHS) This pandemic was not the fault of the Government but its unprepardness was a result of Government policy over a decade and which a lot of those MP's that are still in the HOC's happily voted for, Even as back bench MP's.