• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know your child hasn't been to school, I was just wondering if there were any stories of children being turned away from schools that's all.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Me too.

I think Claude ran away in the end. May have preferred his previous owner. ;) The guy who came down from the Wirral each time there was a game at SJP and otherwise rocked up at Prenton Park IIRC
Claude is greatly missed. 😢

wemissclaude was considered.

manc grecian

Again, It will be argued that no school has been closed which is true, Whatever the criteria is or was to send your child to school I've no idea, Has there been any occasions where a child has been told to go home if they turned up at school? Genuine question
No they haven't. Bent over backwards to fit in kids who don't even meet the criteria. One just turned up and chanced her arm

Legohead

Banned
No they haven't. Bent over backwards to fit in kids who don't even meet the criteria. One just turned up and chanced her arm
This doesn't surprise me. Although, as much as i feel for the schools, i can't say i blame the parents this time around for desperately wanting their kids back to school. Thanks to frequent Government failures.

Funny how kids were back at school from Sept to Dec with no masks in class, no testing and there was no vaccination. In addition, in the lead up to the winter months and Xmas, the Government saw fit to keep them in school, even during the November lockdown.

Now we are entering Spring, deaths, hospitalizations and cases are falling, nearly 20 million vulnerable people have been vaccinated and testing is happening and yet they have to wear masks in class.

All a bit illogical, erratic and inconsistent. Sums up the Tories handling of the pandemic thus far really.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
This doesn't surprise me. Although, as much as i feel for the schools, i can't say i blame the parents this time around for desperately wanting their kids back to school. Thanks to frequent Government failures.

Funny how kids were back at school from Sept to Dec with no masks in class, no testing and there was no vaccination. In addition, in the lead up to the winter months and Xmas, the Government saw fit to keep them in school, even during the November lockdown.

Now we are entering Spring, deaths, hospitalizations and cases are falling, nearly 20 million vulnerable people have been vaccinated and testing is happening and yet they have to wear masks in class.

All a bit illogical, erratic and inconsistent. Sums up the Tories handling of the pandemic thus far really.
The counter argument to that Lego is look at how the rates of infection, hospitalisation and death rose steadily through these 4 weeks culminating in a peak 2 weeks after the schools broke up for xmas and then a sharpish descent since.

The country is split between those that have kids and desperately want them back in school, and if the rates go back up 'so be it', kids aren't going to die from it and those that don't that don't and see schools as a significant transmitter and community spreader of the virus that then affects us all, and so opening schools back up to 10,000,000 kids at once is crazy. People with kids who work in schools probably have sympathy with both sides!

There has also been a significant variation in 'remote=learning' experiences for kids, both dependent on age and the school itself. One of our local secondaries still hasn't done a single on-line lesson.

There's no easy decisions. I still maintain the real failure on schools was in May 2020 not February 2021. Much, much more should have been done to get kids back in school then. You could have had 8 decent weeks of school then. The ire as to the situation now would not have been nearly so fierce.

Anyway the home-testing for secondary kids is going to be the next big thing to hit the headlines. You have no idea of the world of data micro-management, duplication, illogicality and sheer waste of time, money and effort that is coming your way, unless you opt out...

IndoMike

I had a call from some count pretending to be from HMRC and warning me a Police team would be around within the hour to arrest me unless I immediately paid my unpaid tax by debit card to him. Matey rang off immediately when I said he had got through to the local Tebbern police station in error.
Slick move, Ali.👍

manc grecian

Anyway the home-testing for secondary kids is going to be the next big thing to hit the headlines. You have no idea of the world of data micro-management, duplication, illogicality and sheer waste of time, money and effort that is coming your way, unless you opt out...
Looking forward to having some company when I nearly throw up twice a week.

Legohead

Banned
The counter argument to that Lego is look at how the rates of infection, hospitalisation and death rose steadily through these 4 weeks culminating in a peak 2 weeks after the schools broke up for xmas and then a sharpish descent since.

The country is split between those that have kids and desperately want them back in school, and if the rates go back up 'so be it', kids aren't going to die from it and those that don't that don't and see schools as a significant transmitter and community spreader of the virus that then affects us all, and so opening schools back up to 10,000,000 kids at once is crazy. People with kids who work in schools probably have sympathy with both sides!

There has also been a significant variation in 'remote=learning' experiences for kids, both dependent on age and the school itself. One of our local secondaries still hasn't done a single on-line lesson.

There's no easy decisions. I still maintain the real failure on schools was in May 2020 not February 2021. Much, much more should have been done to get kids back in school then. You could have had 8 decent weeks of school then. The ire as to the situation now would not have been nearly so fierce.

Some good points RP. I agree about the split between those who have kids and those who don't. My argument all the way through this though is to continue to let kids be kids and let the adults manage the pandemic with as little impact on kids as possible. Somehow, the Tories have managed the pandemic to have maximum impact on kids education and wellbeing. Schools should never have been closed IMO regardless of case numbers etc. I believe this could have been managed and achieved instead of panicking Tories and doom mongering SAGE bods pulling the strings.

For example. Kids by and large will be unaffected by the virus. Kids parents are mainly under 50 years of age and won't have too many serious issues with the virus. If they did then they would be higher up the vaccination list. All that people had to ensure to keep kids at school is that older people stay away from others. This could not be achieved for and so kids get the blame.

Remote learning for us has been a mixed bag but the school have done their best. They use a mix of blended learning which is some lessons live and some with just work set and emailed and no live lesson. I'm not a teacher and perhaps i am being unfair to them but i expected a lot more live lessons than what my daughter has. Often she will get up in the morning, maybe have half an hour live science and then a half an hour live maths in the afternoon - interspersed with an hour lunch and other lessons where work is just emailed. I don't find this acceptable but there isn't a great deal i can do about it. It could be worse i guess from the sounds of what you are saying and some kids getting none.

As for getting more kids back from May 2020, i take your point, however i think many parents were too scared to do this at the time as we didn't know too much about the virus but i guess we won't know for sure now.

Legohead

Banned
RP, you also mention the cost that is coming my way if i sign up to having my kid tested for school. How is this? I thought it was all free?

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
RP, you also mention the cost that is coming my way if i sign up to having my kid tested for school. How is this? I thought it was all free?
No it's free! It will cost you time, that's all - and maybe some stress. Your kid will be shown how to do it in school.