• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Would be interesting to see how many of us would attend games if say the restrictions were lifted for the start of next season and many people had been vaccinated. Would people still choose to avoid crowds or just say bugger it and get on with things as they once did? This could still impact clubs in terms of gate receipts etc.
For me it would rely on the data regarding the outcomes of those who get and/or are treated for Covid post a round of vaccines.

IndoMike

The simple fact is that the makers of the vaccination recommend the second jab to follow the first jab 4 weeks after or maximum 6 weeks after if absolutely necessary, not 12 weeks after. The WHO strongly agrees. They must have a reason for saying that. The UK is the only country not to follow that recommendation.
If you were regularly taking medicine at home I assume you'd follow the doctor's instructions, not decide to do it your way.

lamrobhero

I would like some of those who most vocal last summer about black oppression and discrimination to be similarly vocal now.
You will have to explain the logic of that to me.

InTheBigBank

Resigned
After getting through the first wave with around 10K deaths, Germany yesterday goes past 50K.
How can a country and a leader (she’s a former chemist y’know!🙄) after getting it so right first time round, get it so wrong this time?
I suspect other factors are way more in play other than the nuanced timings of bleddy lockdowns by politicians.
BTW, when do we start blaming Biden for the US’s 8K daily deaths? Is that the way this works?
Because locking down doesn't save lives, it just means people die at a later date, as well as promoting the most virulent strain of the virus to spread, and making people unhealthier, thus destroying their immune system by limiting their exposure to sunlight, making them depressed (huge links between mental health and physical health), closing gyms and feeding them takeaway.

You would think after 3 or 4 lockdowns something would click somewhere in some scientist's brain that locking down and opening up isn't working. But no, it's because we didn't lockdown hard enough/early enough/long enough.

Let's just try lockdown again!

Donald Henderson, the man widely credited with eradicating smallpox, wrote in 2006, “Experience has shown that communities faced with epidemics or other adverse events respond best and with the least anxiety when the normal social functioning of the community is least disrupted.”

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
Looks like schools won't be re opening in full after Feb half term. I was going to wait until then to get my kid back in school under key worker status but now i don't actually care. She'll be going back after next week as soon as i can get the forms processed etc with the school.

The Government have been given a chance to do the right thing by kids and yet again, totally failed. I've also read that in many other countries around Europe where schools are closed, they at least allow the kids to play and mix outdoors in small groups. At least if that was the case here then kids might not be feeling the strain as much.

As it is, tosser Williamson wants to see kids locked away in splendid isolation for another 10 weeks. He's the modern day child catcher like from the film Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Does not give a toss about young people.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
You will have to explain the logic of that to me.
The logic is that given the massively disproportionate reluctance of the BAME community to be vaccinated, we need some leadership from within those "communities" to overcome this reluctance. It affects all of us. Saying it 'goes against our culture' I am afraid doesn't cut it.

Legohead

Banned
Apparently it's offensive to some people now to use the phrase 'BAME' and it's ok to use 'people of colour' but not 'coloured people' despite both being the same thing. Bizarrely.

I think your use of the word 'communities' is perhaps the best term to use without inadvertently offending anyone.

People from 'other communities' works for me.

Alistair20000

Hancock (To55er) now very worried about all the different so far undetected mutations that might rock up.

Perhaps he is also worried about the unspotted asteroid on a collision course with Earth.

Odd that mutations were not even mentioned when we were told the vaccines were a game changer.

Legohead

Banned
Hancock (To55er) now very worried about all the different so far undetected mutations that might rock up.

Perhaps he is also worried about the unspotted asteroid on a collision course with Earth.
I'd rather he worried about what was actually here in existence in the here and now instead of what 'might' happen. The whole Covid policy has been based on what 'might' happen sadly.

Alistair20000

I'd rather he worried about what was actually here in existence in the here and now instead of what 'might' happen. The whole Covid policy has been based on what 'might' happen sadly.
On the basis of Hancock’s (To55er) latest verbal garbage we would Lockdown all the time just in case a nasty virus might arrive.