• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Chat yesterday that even if you have had the Vax, if you come into contact with someone who tests positive you will still need to self isolate.

If that is the case then I do not see this vaccination as the great liberator. I still don't see what the overriding problem is if the virus does pass from one to another if the vulnerable as well as increasing numbers of the general pop have been vacccinated. And I know no vaccine is 100%, so there will be some risk.

Vast numbers should not get ill at once so the NHS should be able to cope with treating the significantly less numbers that do need hospital treatment.
Of course. Just because you've had a vaccine (assuming it does actually work) doesn't mean you can't carry and pass on the virus. It's not a panacea, but then it was never going to be. It's a shame that the government decided to put all their chips on it. People are going to end up very disappointed.

Meanwhile the Daily Mail continues to publish articles following the lorries (allegedly carrying the vaccines) every move. Looks like they're nearly on the M25 now.

pmsl

1 in 7! Well should be a bit quicker to get round people that want it.

If people don't want to take it, fine. As long as the rest of us aren't stuck in some sort of endless purgatory where we still have to 'protect the NHS' because 80% of the population don't take it

And I still haven't heard anything about whether it is necessary to Vax people who have had it.

I think it'd be more than 1 in 7, but I definitely won't be taking one for at least 6 months after I see a key politician here take one live on TV. As long as most of the vulnerable take one, then I guess we can start looking towards the light at the end of the tunnel.

Alistair20000

Agreed but not sure Williamson (what's it got to do with him) and Hancock haven't helped with gloating.

Just calmly get on with it. Save the self-congratulatory smugness until we really have 'wrestled the virus to the floor'. If other countries haven't approved it yet, so be it. Nowt to do with us.
This.

The gloatage has me reaching for the sick bag.

It has yet to be proved that this vaccine will work as well as the drug company says. Money could be talking here, then we have the roll out to be managed by dysfunctional government agencies.

Anyone remember: world beating track & trace, we will have this thing beaten in three months, a normal Christmas will be possible, a second lockdown is a nuclear option we cannot contemplate. Why don't these boneheads keep their mouths shut or if they have to say something just stick to facts and don't try to be Winston Churchill.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of course. Just because you've had a vaccine (assuming it does actually work) doesn't mean you can't carry and pass on the virus. It's not a panacea, but then it was never going to be. It's a shame that the government decided to put all their chips on it. People are going to end up very disappointed.

Meanwhile the Daily Mail continues to publish articles following the lorries (allegedly carrying the vaccines) every move. Looks like they're nearly on the M25 now.

pmsl

But what does it matter if you pass it on if people have been vaccinated. Yes you could pass it to an unvaxxed person but in most cases, that would be their choice.

As for the Mail, they are a disgrace. Why not give the lorry drivers home address too?

Mr Jinx

But what does it matter if you pass it on if people have been vaccinated. Yes you could pass it to an unvaxxed person but in most cases, that would be their choice.

Well that's it. As long as most vulnerable people have taken it, hopefully we can all then get on with our lives. I just have a feeling some draconian measures will drag on.

Alistair20000

Well that's it. As long as most vulnerable people have taken it, hopefully we can all then get on with our lives. I just have a feeling some draconian measures will drag on.
Me too. :(

Rosencrantz

It shows where people's confidence has eroded whether by government mismanagement, abundant online conspiracy or natural pessimism and suspicion. The development and authorisation of a viable vaccine shows what can be achieved when the motivation to move quickly on a global scale is there. I think it was Jeremy Hunt on Peston who brought up the point that because it is affecting first world countries, it was full steam ahead. There were no hold ups for funding or red tape which can delay development for years and the priority was pushed to the top of the queue for authorisation. He pointed out that the reaction to Ebola wasn't on the same scale, but then it wasn't affecting the first world countries.

The only way a vaccine (if effective) will work is mass take up. But we are in a world where coming together for a greater good of each other is sparse.

DB9

It shows where people's confidence has eroded whether by government mismanagement, abundant online conspiracy or natural pessimism and suspicion. The development and authorisation of a viable vaccine shows what can be achieved when the motivation to move quickly on a global scale is there. I think it was Jeremy Hunt on Peston who brought up the point that because it is affecting first world countries, it was full steam ahead. There were no hold ups for funding or red tape which can delay development for years and the priority was pushed to the top of the queue for authorisation. He pointed out that the reaction to Ebola wasn't on the same scale, but then it wasn't affecting the first world countries.

The only way a vaccine (if effective) will work is mass take up. But we are in a world where coming together for a greater good of each other is sparse.
We are also in a world where for some reason i can't understand are taken in by anti-vaxers online, The amount of misinformation online is huge, The tech companies say they're trying to get rid as soon as they're put up but they seem to be put back up just as quick.

Mr Jinx

We are also in a world where for some reason i can't understand are taken in by anti-vaxers online, The amount of misinformation online is huge, The tech companies say they're trying to get rid as soon as they're put up but they seem to be put back up just as quick.
Yes, but that's the fault of the internet isn't it. It's the great leveller. Any theory or synopsis, however kooky, is going to find willing listeners somewhere.

As far as anti vaxxers go, I do have some sympathy. I'm not wholly against vaccines per se, but I think we've gone too far. It won't be long before Chicken Pox vaccines are pushed on all our kids. Just because one in so many hundred thousand kids gets long term issues when catching it (funnily enough, we do know one). Vaccines aren't always safe and I know I sound like a bit of a stuck record, but a kid in our eldest's year at school died shortly after taking the flu nasal spray last year (Encephalitis, which can happen but again rare). We have allowed our kids the absolute minimum of shots and they'd have to be pretty ill before we allow them antibiotics. On occasions when doctors have recommended they take them, we question why exactly only to usually find out it's no real reason other than it might just possibly help.

DB9

Yes, but that's the fault of the internet isn't it. It's the great leveller. Any theory or synopsis, however kooky, is going to find willing listeners somewhere.

As far as anti vaxxers go, I do have some sympathy. I'm not wholly against vaccines per se, but I think we've gone too far. It won't be long before Chicken Pox vaccines are pushed on all our kids. Just because one in so many hundred thousand kids gets long term issues when catching it (funnily enough, we do know one). Vaccines aren't always safe and I know I sound like a bit of a stuck record, but a kid in our eldest's year at school died shortly after taking the flu nasal spray last year (Encephalitis, which can happen but again rare). We have allowed our kids the absolute minimum of shots and they'd have to be pretty ill before we allow them antibiotics. On occasions when doctors have recommended they take them, we question why exactly only to usually find out it's no real reason other than it might just possibly help.
Not the fault of the internet but that is the mdoern way of spreading disinformation and people for some reason listen to them. As for anti-vaxers, I remember that sad story of the young kid at your childs school, That was really horrible and sad, Especially for the family but these tragedies like you say are rare. Remember 20 odd years ago when that one (Now discredited) doctor who said the MMR jab caused Autism and was proved to be wrong, We had a whole load of kids not getting the jab and now we have had a huge increase in measel cases which can be fatal.

I never go with the old adage of "The Doctors always right" or "Doctors know best" We have to question things and nowadays are better informed but the positives hopefully outweigh the risks (I'm no doctor though)

Mr Jinx

Remember 20 odd years ago when that one (Now discredited) doctor who said the MMR jab caused Autism and was proved to be wrong, We had a whole load of kids not getting the jab and now we have had a huge increase in measel cases which can be fatal.
Yes, but there were legs on that one (did study it intensely at the time). There was enough concern for us to stop ours having the 3 in one hit (MMR). We have given them both a separate measles jab privately however as I felt that one in particular needed doing. Now mulling over the mumps vaccine for them.