• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
And on the way it killed 230,000 people in the UK. When the population was much smaller and much less dense.
Yes, most of those not previously exposed to A/H3N8, A/H2N2, or coronavirus OC43 I'd imagine. And let's not forget this was in the days before ventilators, vitamin D supplements, aspirin, steroids, hydroxychloroquine, remisdivr, nightingale hospitals, etc, etc, etc.

Not true. Edward Jenner will be turning in his grave if he reads this! :p
Sorry, should have said 'flu vaccines'!

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, most of those not previously exposed to A/H3N8, A/H2N2, or coronavirus OC43 I'd imagine. And let's not forget this was in the days before ventilators, vitamin D supplements, aspirin, steroids, hydroxychloroquine, remisdivr, nightingale hospitals, etc, etc, etc.
Thank you for further highlighting how different things were for Spanish flu. Forgive me if I'm not willing to risk thousands of lives based on a "theory" about what may or may not have made a difference to an incomparable situation 100 years ago.

iscalad

The Spanish flu of 1918 killed the young disproportionately. The most credible theory as to why the elderly got off relatively lightly that time is because they'd already been exposed to similar in the outbreak of 1890 (aka "Russian flu"). This was long before the days of vaccines.

Jus sayin
More likely it spread mostly amongst soldiers to start off with.

tavyred

More likely it spread mostly amongst soldiers to start off with.
Yep.
I had a great uncle who made it through the last couple years of WW1 only to die of Spanish flu in Silesia in 1919. He was in his early 20’s.

Alistair20000

Who'd thought that "Lefty Luvvie" Victoria Derbyshire having to issue an apology for saying "Sod the rule of six" (paraphrasing here) on her radio show because she has seven people who she wants to invite around for Christmas, Probably told to by her bosses but what she said resonates up and down the country and TBH most think that and will do it any way.
I expect you are right. A lot of people will put two fingers up to the rule of 6.

What is a bit of delicious irony here is that this sanctimonious lady gave a Tory MP a really hard time for breaking expense claims rules. The MP in question had rented an office from his own company but pointed out that he was entitled to claim for an office and his company charged a below market rent. So the taxpayer paid him less in expenses than if he had followed the rules.

Ms Derbyshire simply kept parroting “You broke the rules” ignoring the common sense of the explanation.

Sometimes the rules are daft Victoria but how about consistency please

Reactions: DB9

Rosencrantz

I expect you are right. A lot of people will put two fingers up to the rule of 6.

What is a bit of delicious irony here is that this sanctimonious lady gave a Tory MP a really hard time for breaking expense claims rules. The MP in question had rented an office from his own company but pointed out that he was entitled to claim for an office and his company charged a below market rent. So the taxpayer paid him less in expenses than if he had followed the rules.

Ms Derbyshire simply kept parroting “You broke the rules” ignoring the common sense of the explanation.

Sometimes the rules are daft Victoria but how about consistency please
Maybe so, but it was still taxpayer's money going into his companies pockets. I'm sure he could have supplied the office gratis, which would have been a real saving for taxpayers and proper philanthropy to hang his hat on.

Ps. I guess she will be anticipating the opportunistic pap that will outside her house on Christmas Day trying to count numbers.

Last edited:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Andy Burnham's just blamed Tesco's for letting people shop without masks in their stores in Manchester.

How about blaming Mancunians who can't follow a blindingly simple rule?

Mr Jinx

Because a vaccine is not the same as natural immunity (which the BBC article says if you'd actually read it)
Yes, I did read it especially the bit that goes: "Professor Paul Elliott said: 'The vaccine response may behave differently to the response to natural infection.'"

Which means he really hasn't got a clue around that either.

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, I did read it and specifically the bit that goes: "Professor Paul Elliott said: 'The vaccine response may behave differently to the response to natural infection.'"

Which means he really hasn't got a clue around that either.
I'm sure you read it before and didn't just trawl through it now to find some crumb of comfort. Of course he doesn't know, it doesn't exist yet. But the fact remains that a vaccine is a different thing, so what goes for one isn't necessarily true of the other. Regardless, even if it only provides 6 months of immunity a vaccine can be topped up. If natural immunity only lasts 6 months you'd need the entire population to continually catch the virus on a rolling cycle.

Mr Jinx

I'm sure you read it before and didn't just trawl through it now to find some crumb of comfort. Of course he doesn't know, it doesn't exist yet. But the fact remains that a vaccine is a different thing, so what goes for one isn't necessarily true of the other. Regardless, even if it only provides 6 months of immunity a vaccine can be topped up. If natural immunity only lasts 6 months you'd need the entire population to continually catch the virus on a rolling cycle.
Not only did I read and digest it the first time, I've had the very same professor spouting his ambiguities over the airwaves every 30 mins on R6 new bulletins in the background all day.

Here are some question for you - if natural immunity lasts only for a matter of months for everyone and CV just keeps coming back, how come we don't see loads of people die of Spanish flu all the time? Or do we (and they just call it normal flu)? Why did Spanish or Asian flu rip round the world in a couple of years, never to really return in significant numbers in the days before flu vaccines? If long term herd immunity wasn't a significant thing, surely they would have just kept coming back ad infinitum?