• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
In their collective desperation to panic people and accentuate the negative, the MSM are failing to recognise that the record rise in infections posted yesterday needs to be put against the huge difference in testing numbers. Our media are god damn awful.
Indeed. I went through the numbers with the wife again yesterday. She was under the impression they were testing 100k people a day back in March. I had to remind her it was actually 18k tops. Much to her disbelief I may add (even though I'd already told her that). Then I showed her the graphs, again, hoping the penny will drop this time. Then again, it'll probably all be forgotten again after another morning's doomscrolling.

FFS

Oldsmobile-88

The lockdown & effect on the economics of regional airports was starkly shown on the figures of passengers Arriving/Departures from Exeter Airport
May 2019 97,000....May 2020 9 !! Yes Nine.

The local council(East Devon DC) have agreed to defer a % business rates for this & next year(worth 180k over 600k due)
Most staff there are still on furlough I would imagine.

One bit of good news is Air Lingus are looking for 100 maintenance engineers at the airport.There is a pool of staff available from the former Flybe.

Red Devon

The lockdown & effect on the economics of regional airports was starkly shown on the figures of passengers Arriving/Departures from Exeter Airport
May 2019 97,000....May 2020 9 !! Yes Nine.

The local council(East Devon DC) have agreed to defer a % business rates for this & next year(worth 180k over 600k due)
Most staff there are still on furlough I would imagine.

One bit of good news is Air Lingus are looking for 100 maintenance engineers at the airport.There is a pool of staff available from the former Flybe.
Quite staggering numbers and I can believe it...I was in there today and saw just two Airport workers.

dontpassback

Never mind,I am sure all those poor folk who have lost their jobs will be pleased to know that this virus isn’t going anywhere,and we have to get on with life,the fact that we have trashed the economy in the process won’t be of any concern to our well paid politicians,but the effects on most working people will be totally devastating!

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting that Whitty said today that case numbers in school kids wasn't changing, whereas they are rocketing in the 18-21 bracket. The North/South split is very stark. Out of just under 2,000 people in hospital, nearly 1,500 are in the 3 regions of NE/Yorks, NW and Midlands. In contrast, only 130 across the SW and SE combined and only 266 out of 10 million people in London.

Looks like we should close the southbound M40 and M5 and close the M1 from about Milton Keynes, and stop anyone travelling South!

£570 million worth of brand new ventilators sitting around as yet unused. Good they aren't needed, and hopefully they won't be - but shows how things have moved on since the Spring.

elginCity

On the record that each of our European 'friends and partners' has carried out fewer than half of the UK's total tests, bar Germany, who has carried out only 10,000,000 fewer tests. Ten million fewer.

Trust in Hancock :ROFLMAO:

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
On the record that each of our European 'friends and partners' has carried out fewer than half of the UK's total tests, bar Germany, who has carried out only 10,000,000 fewer tests. Ten million fewer.

Trust in Hancock :ROFLMAO:
Do you mean we have carried out fewer than half?

The airports issue remains a joke. WTF can't we test people at airports and keep our travel industry going. The Germans are
Blunt 14 day quarantine is a nonsense.

iscalad

5 cases in the RD&E today

elginCity

Do you mean we have carried out fewer than half?
Put it this way, hope it’s clearer. We have carried out over twice as many tests as any other major European country apart from Germany. We’ve only carried out 10 million more tests than them.

Unbelievable. Quite literally.

tavyred

Put it this way, hope it’s clearer. We have carried out over twice as many tests as any other major European country apart from Germany. We’ve only carried out 10 million more tests than them.

Unbelievable. Quite literally.
The U.K. is lying about the number of tests it’s carried out?