• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

OmanGrecian

This is heartbreaking to watch (apologies in advance), but it shows the anguish of loneliness because of the pandemic

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
But people AREN’T obeying the rules. You yourself have said most are, which by default means some are not. Ergo people are not obeying the rules. Why is that so difficult to understand? He never said everyone was disobeying, you never said everyone was obeying, therefore you’re merely confirming what he said.
I think it's you who is having the problems understanding, Ant. I have already made it clear at least twice that I realise SOME are not obeying the rules. Now that's three times.
It's not just the text that I posted. Other ministers have been hanging on about it via other media and social media
I already said months ago that they should be tougher with the rules, but that was before the test and trace system that they said was crucial and would be world- beating would soon be delivered. It was none of these. I assumed that implementatiom of that system would mean an easing up on the social restrictions. They also put the police in a very difficult and compromising situation, having to police the people based on ADVICE, not rule of law.
Throughout this pandemic the Govt has been unable to explain clearly to the people what the "rules" are.. The "advice" has changed on a whim. Students have been sent off to campus where clearly the virus will spread and many are now confined to their rooms. They are paying 9000 quid for the privelege of staying in their rooms and if they're lucky to get some online classes, which they could do just as easily at home.
Due to the continuous fark:ups nobody listens to Johnson any more, but that doesn't give him and Hancock the right to point their finger at the people, who in my opinion have behaved in an excellent manner overall. If they have to keep repeating the same old story that in itself is evidence that nobody is listening any more and most people are just using common sense.

Last edited:

IndoMike

The ‘Dominic Cummings broke the rules, so why shouldn’t I?’ line is becoming moronic.
You would know...

IndoMike

Tavey very sneakily changed the whole argument to one about Dominic Cummings, but my post was about much more than that. By doing that he changed the whole conversation. And he says I have an agenda. It is Tavey and his little gang of Tory supporters who ignore the facts and divert attention.
Tavey should be careful about his use of the word "*****" and "having an agenda". Don't you have a mirror at home,Tavey?

IndoMike

"A new, more robust chapter in English coronavirus regulations begins on Monday, with fines of up to £10,000 for people who refuse to self-isolate when asked, and enforcement including tip-offs from people who believe that others are breaching the rules".

Antony Moxey

I think it's you who is having the problems understanding, Ant. I have already made it clear at least twice that I realise SOME are not obeying the rules.
Exactly, which is what Johnson said in the large font article you quoted. People aren't following the rules so cases have risen. Seems fairly obvious to me, or does it really need forensic clarification as to exactly how many aren't following the rules? He didn't say no-one is following the rules - did he really need to add the word 'some'? The point was you said pretty much everything he said in the article was wrong: it wasn't.

IndoMike

I guess they need a stiff drink at the end of the day...

"Minister says bars in parliament should not be exempt from 10pm closing time
According to a Times story (paywall) by Esther Webber, the bars in parliament are exempt from the rule saying pubs in England must stop selling alcohol at 10pm. She explains:

Facilities serving alcohol on the parliamentary estate are understood to be exempt from the earlier closing time on the basis that they fall under the description of “a workplace canteen”.

Alistair20000

I guess they need a stiff drink at the end of the day...

"Minister says bars in parliament should not be exempt from 10pm closing time
According to a Times story (paywall) by Esther Webber, the bars in parliament are exempt from the rule saying pubs in England must stop selling alcohol at 10pm. She explains:

Facilities serving alcohol on the parliamentary estate are understood to be exempt from the earlier closing time on the basis that they fall under the description of “a workplace canteen”.
HOC has not done much proper work for months.

Mr Jinx

And so we see a significant daily drop for the first time in a while. Have we seen a plateau? Have recent measures resulted in what Belgium saw after doing the same? So many questions.

Littlest Jinx's test came back negative, as was expected, but only be me chasing after not having heard anything for 48 hours and giving them a bit of an earful. OK, it's not easy processing and reporting back on 250,000 tests a day, but time is of the essence especially if it turns out you're positive. If that had turned out to be the case, having found out a day earlier we could have made phone calls to the school who could've shut the class or even the year (not the whole school....that'd be an overreaction) to help stem the spread.

DB9

And so we see a significant daily drop for the first time in a while. Have we seen a plateau? Have recent measures resulted in what Belgium saw after doing the same? So many questions.

Littlest Jinx's test came back negative, as was expected, but only be me chasing after not having heard anything for 48 hours and giving them a bit of an earful. OK, it's not easy processing and reporting back on 250,000 tests a day, but time is of the essence especially if it turns out you're positive. If that had turned out to be the case, having found out a day earlier we could have made phone calls to the school who could've shut the class or even the year (not the whole school....that'd be an overreaction) to help stem the spread.
Good (tentative) news on the daily drop, Fingers crossed etc. More important Jinxy, Even better news on little Jinxy. 👍👍👍