• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Schools will have to open, The Country can't afford them not to
You are right, but

1) Lots of employer's still encouraging WFH for the rest of the year. Whitehall isn't exactly setting a good example.
2) Schools have been given lots of guidance but many are still not running breakfast clubs and after school activities that are as important for many working parents to be able to work. The fact that school may be open 9-3 is of little use if you work 8-5
3) Teaching unions are flexing muscles again

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Actually Jinxy, missing his posts would still make it more reader friendly. 😂
But that's the thing. The remaining posts are mostly replies to his witterings. I can't make anything out, so I'm staying out of it for the time being. Waiting for a permanent flounce or ban.

DB9

You are right, but

1) Lots of employer's still encouraging WFH for the rest of the year. Whitehall isn't exactly setting a good example.
2) Schools have been given lots of guidance but many are still not running breakfast clubs and after school activities that are as important for many working parents to be able to work. The fact that school may be open 9-3 is of little use if you work 8-5
3) Teaching unions are flexing muscles again
Those lucky enough to be able to work from home will do either but most people can't do that, All blue collar workers have to be on site and they far outnumber office workers. Working at home, Which is always highlighted by the media who think it's the majority that do it is just not possible. Schools will open or see this country go tits up, Simple as that!

Mr Jinx

Upping their game by streaming new content for younger, more tech savvy viewers, Programmes they want to see. Its like this Britbox, Which is funded by all the Terrestiral TV services.
I think you miss my point. My kids don't even watch programmes any more. It's always some youtuber shrieking away having found a new weapon on Fortnite or some such nonsense. They watch this stuff for hours on end. We've tried putting on normal programs and they just get bored, walk off and try and sneak onto tablets to get back on YouTube. I imagine it's the same with teenagers and Instagram/tiktok.

Old TV as we know it is just dying. I can't see how you can stop it.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Those lucky enough to be able to work from home will do either but most people can't do that, All blue collar workers have to be on site and they far outnumber office workers. Working at home, Which is always highlighted by the media who think it's the majority that do it is just not possible. Schools will open or see this country go tits up, Simple as that!
Not just schools but colleges and universities need to reopen as well. I work with a number of students who hope to start at a university in September, and the not knowing is nt good for them. Some of them have considered a year out for travel, but with travel rules being unclear for the next 12 months it's not a good time to take a year out.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

I think you miss my point. My kids don't even watch programmes any more. It's always some youtuber shrieking away having found a new weapon on Fortnite or some such nonsense. They watch this stuff for hours on end. We've tried putting on normal programs and they just get bored, walk off and try and sneak onto tablets to get back on YouTube. I imagine it's the same with teenagers and Instagram/tiktok.

Old TV as we know it is just dying. I can't see how you can stop it.
I feel your pain with the Youtube stuff, Our grandkids are exactly the same, Drives me ballistic listening to it, But we do hand them back so its not 24/7. I think as they get older the streaming services will get used more often, My kids are older, They use the TV to stream programmes, The Tiktok, Youtube thing have a limited shelf life and as the kids grow older the TV will be used like a cinema, Our idea of TV will get less and less, Those TV companies will have to do the streaming stuff.

IndoMike

True. But that thread's been ruined by some idiot holed up on the other side of the planet.
[/QUOTE
Ruined for you because you kept losing the argument and ran away. Poor little thing 😪
Anyway. We must remember that masks are to protect others, not ourselves
So it makes sense that kids,
who are usually asymptomatic and safe, don't spread the virus to their teachers.

IndoMike

Actually Jinxy, missing his posts would still make it more reader friendly. 😂
Well thank you , Spanky. It's not me that keeps interrupting posts and killing the conversation. Anyway, if you're siding with the Cat I really must be in trouble
Masks make total sense
👌

arthur

This is what should have been happening ALL ALONG. Professionals in local councils' environmental health departments who have the experience and expertise to do this work and have the necessary tricky conversations with people they track and trace. Instead we had a thrown together national government scheme outsourced to the likes of Serco who have a proven track record of failure.

If government had funded local authorities properly, and given them the phone numbers of local army bases who could provide logistical support as required, we might actually have got a functioning track and trace system by now. The incompetence, stupidity and venality of this shower we have in charge of us is about the only world beating thing about this country at the moment...

OmanGrecian

Arrived back in Italy this morning from the UK. I have to say, EasyJet were very good at keeping me informed and sending me the relevant paperwork to complete for arrival into UK and Italy. AliItalia were useless at this.

Unfortunately there are still people who don't listen to rules. The hostess clearly asked for everyone to disembark a row at a time and everyone to remain seated until their row is called. You can guess what happened as soon as the seat belt signs were turned off.

It did make me laugh though that they did this, but then placed us all together on a bus to the terminal.