• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It's obviously his football knowledge and being intelligent enough to host various programmes long before his views on Brexit and other subjects were known, Brexit wasn't even a word when he started presenting. Just because his views on those subjects are not to yours and others liking doesn't mean he can't do his job and if you think what he says has any influence on people, Especially younger ones your very much mistaken and is patronising to those people. As for taking up repeats, Yep the BBC are guilty as charged but they do take risks on programmes, Unlike commercial stations whos one sole thing is to entertain to keep people watching dire shows that are cheap to produce, ITV since it's become one entity it is dire to watch as is now C4 once the Government ended their contributions and they have to rely on advertising, As for C5, Enough said and then there are the multi channels which are all as bad. The BBC still has a place in today's world and now it's become an easy target for those in Government because it doesn't always take their point of view, We lose the BBC as we know it and we'll regret it.
When it comes to new programming, so much is trialled on BBC3 or BBC4 aimed at different audiences. Not to mention Radio 4 which has seen plenty of comedy talent in particular being given a chance to experiment and gain experience before hitting the TV channels.

tavyred

I maybe being unreasonable but there is something that grates when a presenter who is in receipt of licence payer money starts using his BBC enhanced profile to give his personal take on things like Brexit and politics generally. Lineker’s rather large wedge comes courtesy of licence fee payers of all political persuasions, I don’t think it too unreasonable for him to keep a lid on his personal opinions, especially when nobody would be too interested in his views if it weren’t for his BBC notoriety.

Rosencrantz

I maybe being unreasonable but there is something that grates when a presenter who is in receipt of licence payer money starts using his BBC enhanced profile to give his personal take on things like Brexit and politics generally. Lineker’s rather large wedge comes courtesy of licence fee payers of all political persuasions, I don’t think it too unreasonable for him to keep a lid on his personal opinions, especially when nobody would be too interested in his views if it weren’t for his BBC notoriety.
Why would anyone who would not be interested in Lineker's views normally be interested only because he presents a sports show on BBC? What you are effectively saying is that no BBC personnel should reveal any personal views, ever. That would have made Jeremy Clarkson's job impossible for a start. The only people who seem to get worked up with either of the above mentioned opinions are those who disagreed with those opinions.

If you want to blame anyone for making those opinions widespread, then look to the tabloids and clickbait websites, not the individuals.

By extension, no one who receives public money should make their personal views known either. Thank goodness I no longer work for HMRC 😉.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lineker is in a slightly unique situation

BBC presenters and journalists are supposed to be impartial, politically - at least publically.
Lineker is a presenter, loosely a journalist, but a sports one and not a political one. He is just a very high profile sports one.
He 'gets away' with saying things that almost none of his fellow high profile, and highly paid, presenters would be able to because he presents football.

I am not aware of many other BBC presenters - CBeebies, weather presenters, Radio 1 etc - that are quite so prolific in giving their political views.

Sorry, nothing to do with UK Lockdown though!

IndoMike

Lineker doesn't receive public money : he is paid by an institution which receives public money. Millions of people work for companies or are individuals which / who receive funding from the Govt, even more so during the Covid19 crisis.
Unless there is a specific clause in their contract banning them from making statements or giving opinions which might be construed as political then surely it is their democratic right to speak.
Finally, if you criticise the Govt for its failings it is not necessarily a political comment, the same as if you criticise an airline for not refunding your ticket money after cancellation it is not a political comment .
What is the UK coming to if a person is criticised just for airing his views ?
"Shakes head"

tavyred

The BBC is of course attempting to rein in its left liberal journalists by telling them to temper their personal social media activities, especially when it invariably betrays their own personal political bias.
The BBC is acutely aware of its charter and the need for political neutrality especially when there is anecdotal evidence that a large and growing amount of people are binning their TV licences as the result of its people not being able act responsibly.
I love the BBC, but if it is to survive as is, it needs to realise that public perceptions are important.

manc grecian

I no longer watch MOTD because Gary Lineker has an opinion on the world

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Anyways, this isn't the politics thread!

Alistair20000

Is there a thread dedicated to the BBC ?

DB9

The BBC is of course attempting to rein in its left liberal journalists by telling them to temper their personal social media activities, especially when it invariably betrays their own personal political bias.
The BBC is acutely aware of its charter and the need for political neutrality especially when there is anecdotal evidence that a large and growing amount of people are binning their TV licences as the result of its people not being able act responsibly.
I love the BBC, but if it is to survive as is, it needs to realise that public perceptions are important.
No Tavy, The reason people are "Binning the BBC" and other TV stations on the "Old Platforms" is that the younger generation don't watch TV as we do and use to, None of my three kids watch the box like i did at their age and still do, They stream stuff, Youtube stuff and stay on their phones rather than watch TV, This is where the BBC need to up their game. Getting back on topic for many older people during this lockdown the BBC is what they relied on as i said before. Again They aint perfect but I'd hate for them to disappear and we all end up with what the others have to offer.