• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
My point Al is you using Mandelson as a reference in this case with Cummings, My point is one was elected so had a right to be influential and the other isn't.
My point was not about the legitimacy of Cummings having influence. All governments of whatever persuasion have advisors. Even Mrs T was glad to have a Willie.

My reference to The Prince of Darkness was nothing more than that those in power or influence, elected or otherwise, have a habit of returning having previously been given the heave ho.

Reactions: DB9

Grecian2K

But Thatcher's "Willie" was at least an elected representative.

DB9

My point was not about the legitimacy of Cummings having influence. All governments of whatever persuasion have advisors. Even Mrs T was glad to have a Willie.

My reference to The Prince of Darkness was nothing more than that those in power or influence, elected or otherwise, have a habit of returning having previously been given the heave ho.
Also, Wasn't Cummings being the staunch leaver his is was to wrestle back control from Unelected Eurocrats when in truth we've swapped one Unelected being to another as Cummings is probably the most influential person in the UK today and not elected?

Oldsmobile-88

Genuine question: 9-10 wks since lockdown (I know some things have been eased) just asking, How is everyone doing? Nothing political, Just reall want to know, If you don't want to say totally cool with that.
Ok..Just a bit bored during the first few weeks same as everyone else I suppose.Even painted the outside of the house.Usually I would have got a painter in !
I took early retirement a couple of years ago so the work/furlough situation is not relevant to me.
I’m used to doing a fair bit of travelling around the country on short breaks & football in the lots of time I had on my hands.I have really missed doing that.
As much as I like my trips abroad,there are some fantastic places in this country(I am a expert on Premier Inn locations 😁😎)

Planning a few things once this is all over to keep a positive vibe going.60th next year.Just hope all travel restrictions have been lifted by then !

Last edited:

Alistair20000

But Thatcher's "Willie" was at least an elected representative.
Indeed. Much better especially if it’s a good person as Willie undoubtedly was. The point remains that all governments have non elected advisors. Think Alastair Campbell.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Planning a few things once this is all over to keep a positive vibe going.60th next year.Just hope all travel restrictions have been lifted by then !
I have a villa on Crete booked for September to celebrate my birthday. I'm trying to remain optimistic that it'll happen. I have looked up places in Devon just in case, but you don't get much for your pound in England.

Oldsmobile-88

I have a villa on Crete booked for September to celebrate my birthday. I'm trying to remain optimistic that it'll happen. I have looked up places in Devon just in case, but you don't get much for your pound in England.
I reckon you will be OK for that Hants...Is it just your immediate family going ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I reckon you will be OK for that Hants...Is it just your immediate family going ?
It is. Originally invited brothers and sisters over, but that was too expensive!

Legohead

Banned
Can just imagine a 'nice' day out in York / Bath etc. Can't browse in shops due to social distancing. Can't just nip in to a shop. Have to queue just to get in. Can't just pop into an inviting pub for a meal without queueing or pre booking. Can't just pop into Jorvik or York Minster unless you have pre booked. Making sure you are a safe distance from other shoppers. Queueing for the bogs and that's the men this time! Utterly pointless. May as well go back to normal or stay at home.

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Genuine question: 9-10 wks since lockdown (I know some things have been eased) just asking, How is everyone doing? Nothing political, Just reall want to know, If you don't want to say totally cool with that.
All good here - not much has changed for us both myself and Mrs Dozen still working at our respective workplaces not at home so we still have the Workplace/Home split which I think is important - what we are missing though is our Holiday Home we are there most weekends but not been now since lockdown started :(