• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Much as I'd like to welcome this, it is yet another instance of the Mail printing the 'x is bad for you/ then good for you/ then bad for you' guff they often do.
)I think they've told us in the past that both red wine & chocolate both 'causes' and 'cures' cancer). o_O

The modelling they report was done on the 7th of May with the caveat at that time - 'prediction is uncertain and expected to change over time'.

The modellers processing the data took it down themselves on the 11th May replacing it with this disclaimer ...
"Disclaimer: Content from this website is STRICTLY ONLY for educational and research purposes and may contain errors. The model and data are inaccurate to the complex, evolving, and heterogeneous realities of different countries over time. Predictions are uncertain by nature. Readers must take any predictions with caution. Over-optimism based on some predictions is dangerous because it may loosen our disciplines and controls and cause the turnaround of the virus and infection, and must be avoided. Earlier predictions are no longer valid because the real-world scenarios have changed rapidly."

I've highlighted the crucial bit.

Yet nearly 2 weeks later the Mail ignores the update.
Yes, was slightly tongue in cheek!

Meanwhile also being reported that the virus is disappearing so quickly in the UK that the much heralded vaccine may be at risk because not enough people will catch CV to know whether the vaccine works!!! Oxford Uni need the virus to hang about to be able to test the vaccine. I really don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
While having no time for Cummings I found myself laughing reasonably hard reading Alastair Campbell’s tirade against him calling him a liar and a hypocrite. This from the arch liar who backed up all the whoppers that fell from the lips of the Reverend Blair.

All you need to see a liar and a hypocrite Alastair is a mirror. Yet another creep to exert undue influence over our so called leaders.
Clowns to the left of me,
Hypocrites to the right, here i am,
Stuck in the middle with you.

Seriously though the bucks got to stop somewhere Ali, no good letting someone off the hook because so and so got away with something in the past. It just turns into a runaway shiteshow with each step getting progressively more brazen and outrageous and you end up with shysters like Trump in control delivered by Bannon because public confidence and opinion in Government and politics is lower than a snakes belt buckle.

Colesman Ballz

UDoes the virus affect high horses? :unsure:
Do they come any higher than Bojo and Cummings ? :)

Spoonz Red E

Do they come any higher than Bojo and Cummings ? :)
Many hands make sleight work.

Colesman Ballz

"A song for Cummings". Good effort from.this lady, satirising Cummings' alleged comments about the elderly being dispensable.
Indo, do please give credit to Dillie Keane, the creative force behind Fascinating Aida. FA's post Brexit song "So Sorry Scotland"would probably amuse you as would "OFSTED" or if rap is more your thing "Down with da kids" Enjoy ! :cool:

Alistair20000

Clowns to the left of me,
Hypocrites to the right, here i am,
Stuck in the middle with you.

Seriously though the bucks got to stop somewhere Ali, no good letting someone off the hook because so and so got away with something in the past. It just turns into a runaway shiteshow with each step getting progressively more brazen and outrageous and you end up with shysters like Trump in control delivered by Bannon because public confidence and opinion in Government and politics is lower than a snakes belt buckle.
Was not suggesting that Cummings should be let off Rosie; assuming he is guilty of course.

Just found the reaction of Campbell quite staggering. These guys live in some sort of Alice In Wonderland parallel universe.

Rosencrantz

Was not suggesting that Cummings should be let off Rosie; assuming he is guilty of course.

Just found the reaction of Campbell quite staggering. These guys live in some sort of Alice In Wonderland parallel universe.
Well quite, just wondering where in that universe the rest of us get off exactly, although I think we mostly know. Was it Campbell who once said something along the lines of "if you become the story, it's time to go"? Whoever said that of an advisor it seems quite wise.

Last edited:

IndoMike

We are seeing classic examples of politicians forgetting they are servants of the people and allowing power to inflate their egos
Cummings actions show contempt for the sacrifices made by society in general during the lockdown.
The fact that Johnson, Gove, Sunak, Hancock et al have leapt to his defense reveals the "herd mentality" of the Govt and that their loyalty is not to the people but to their own survival
They have no shame. This does not auger well for the future of the country : things will only get worse, I fear. This kind of behaviour by the Govt is not an isolated incident.

IndoMike

Just to add, to accuse Durham police force of lying - why would they lie? - is beyond the pale and is another sign that this Govt thinks it can do what it wants with impunity.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's an interesting idea if you can open up the lockdown for just Devon and Cornwall. Hairdressers and barbers would be very popular! If it didn't create an influx of people from elsewhere from the UK, then it should happen. So, I guess I would exclude tourism for a bit longer.