• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes , a lot of it is very nicely matured at two or three years old so is getting quite smooth!
I do make the occasional beer too and experiment with the ingredients.For instance , I add fruit once in a while like say raspberries.And instead of hops I include rosemary.They used to preserve the beer with that in medieval times. I won’t make so much this year but I’ve already picked out some nice bunches of sloes , greengages and some elderberries on my walk with the dog. Been making it for a long time , was once offered a job to make it for sale for a vineyard!Enough , else this thread will be renamed home brewer and the mods will be on my back!
A secret talent that I don't remember you mentioning before. No wonder you're happy to stay at home hic.

Mr Jinx

Traffic is currently queuing on the M5 going south west past Exeter.

Business as usual folks. It was all a bad dream!

Banksy

During this lockdown (Put that word in so the mods don't slap me on the wrist) Do you do most of your Wine/Beer tasting just before you post your "Jokes" on the Entertainment Thread? :unsure:;):ROFLMAO:
Naughty! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Traffic is currently queuing on the M5 going south west past Exeter.

Business as usual folks. It was all a bad dream!
Noticeably a lot more people out and about this morning. Maybe they all, like me, were getting haircuts!

I hope that the great unwashed don't bring the lergy into virtually Covid-free Devon and Cornwall.
They should set up a mandatory temperature check station at Taunton Deane services.

Alistair20000

Cowick Street Centre car park this morning busiest since March

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Cowick Street Centre car park this morning busiest since March
In many ways good. We need people to have confidence to go out if they want to go out and if shops are open and have trade, that is employment for many, sales for those businesses and their suppliers and VAT for the Treasury.

I've made the point for a while that I didn't understand the generic loosening of lockdown to this point for no economic benefit - beaches etc

As Hants rightly said, just because you can doesn't mean you must. Allow businesses, organisations and people to make their own mind up about what they think is right for them.

Legohead

Banned
My concern with the easing of the lockdown is that naturally the virus will increase in cases and along with more testing even more so. I hope the Government don't simply take kneejerk reactions to locking down towns and cities like Leicester just because of this. It is bound to happen so the Government should have some flexibility. Society cannot get back to a half normal life without further spread of the virus so let's just play it by ear and see what happens rather than instant locking down of places.

My fear is the criticism they received for not locking down sooner at the beginning of this crisis will be in the forefront of their minds and thus any significant spike in cases anywhere will spur them into not wanting to make the same mistake twice and they might make further rash / bizarre decisions with this in mind.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
My concern with the easing of the lockdown is that naturally the virus will increase in cases and along with more testing even more so. I hope the Government don't simply take kneejerk reactions to locking down towns and cities like Leicester just because of this. It is bound to happen so the Government should have some flexibility. Society cannot get back to a half normal life without further spread of the virus so let's just play it by ear and see what happens rather than instant locking down of places.

My fear is the criticism they received for not locking down sooner at the beginning of this crisis will be in the forefront of their minds and thus any significant spike in cases anywhere will spur them into not wanting to make the same mistake twice and they might make further rash / bizarre decisions with this in mind.
On Leicester, the spike in Leicester was apparently known about on 18th June. In many ways they have been too slow to shut it down, partly it seems due to reluctance of the Council to do anything. It was concentrated in 2 wards, linked to sandwich and clothes factories in a predominantly Asian area where there is a high proportion of multi-generational and large households under one roof.

Apparently there was a similar issue in an area of Bradford at the same time but the council put in place measures quickly and prevented it spreading.

Reactions: DB9

Legohead

Banned
I don't understand why businesses such as hairdresser who were waiting to re open now can't in Leicester though. They take bookings by appointment only. They use all relevant PPE and get the hair cut. Nobody is likely to be infected. Same with shops. Customers keep their distance and only a certain number of customers allowed in at one time therefore minimal risk of spread. Why are these places not allowed to be open? They are only doing what they did before and are only doing what they will do after this mini Leicester lockdown so nothing has changed as far as they are concerned.

I think it's ridiculous to close an entire city personally.

elginCity

Until Test, Track and Trace is functioning efficiently, the blunt instrument of a localised lockdown is the only way to suppress flare ups/spikes.