• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Legohead

Banned
Mouth, ears and eyes Lego. This Covid fecker is said to get access from all these three orifices.
Simple. Just don't touch your face. Do your shopping as normal, don't faff with your face, and sanitize when you get back in the car. This is what i do. No need for the obsession with sanitizing trolley handles etc IMO. It's just making people more Covid obsessed.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed DB9. It's difficult because her core group of friends have not gone back to school and given it's her first year at big school, she was reluctant to go back after Xmas as she felt she'd be alone but as time has passed, she's clearly changed her mind and has become withdrawn. As it turns out there are one or two friends who are now back at school and i would expect there to be lots more kids back at school after half term anyway as parents are desperate so it will be a lot easier for her.

It's difficult to know what to do for the benefit of our individual circumstances based on what our views are about the virus and restrictions etc and most of us want to do what we are told and to trust the Government to learn from mistakes. I thought that they did learn from this when they kept kids at school during the November lockdown and promising that at all costs, kids in school is a top priority. The Government even threatened to take a school to court before Christmas for announcing that they would close and i really thought the Government meant business and that kids WERE a priority.

Sadly given the school meals debacle and the closure of schools to most kids as of now, kids are not even an afterthought.
If she's become withdrawn then perhaps you might need to talk to someone who knows about these things? They should be able to give you the right advice regarding your child. If her group of friends aren't at school but there are others at school then she might expand her friends group by meeting up with those at school? I'd imagine all those kids at school feel a bit strange and anxious and making friends might be the best thing.

Alistair20000

Simple. Just don't touch your face. Do your shopping as normal, don't faff with your face, and sanitize when you get back in the car. This is what i do. No need for the obsession with sanitizing trolley handles etc IMO. It's just making people more Covid obsessed.
I avoid the supermarket now Lego. A prime place to catch Covid IMO and yet the government does not enforce any proper social distancing.

Mind you, there must be a fair chance that specks of Covid will be on the packaging, cans etc when white van man rocks up with the grocery delivery.

Legohead

Banned
If she's become withdrawn then perhaps you might need to talk to someone who knows about these things? They should be able to give you the right advice regarding your child. If her group of friends aren't at school but there are others at school then she might expand her friends group by meeting up with those at school? I'd imagine all thi=ose kids at school feel a bit strange and anxious and making friends might be the best thing.
She's ok DB9. We've had a talk and she is OK about going back to school. There are a couple of kids that she knows who are at school so she doesn't feel as bad now. I think it was the lack of not knowing when she'd be going back and when her friends would be going back which has been the main problem. Another thing the Government have failed with. Not giving specific dates to aim for. Makes it even more difficult. Not that would make a difference now anyway because if they promised something by X date, they'd change their mind about 5 minutes before that date arrived!

Thanks for the concern anyway DB. I'd be a lot more concerned if we did not have the option of sending her back to school, which most parents do not and which is a national scandal for which a public inquiry needs to be had.

Legohead

Banned
I avoid the supermarket now Lego. A prime place to catch Covid IMO and yet the government does not enforce any proper social distancing.

Mind you, there must be a fair chance that specks of Covid will be on the packaging, cans etc when white van man rocks up with the grocery delivery.
I've been to the supermarket about 3/4 times a week since July. Also go to my local shop about twice a week. I went to an ASDA in Dunbar, Scotland in October and it was literally wall to wall people. The worst i have seen. It was so tight and far too many people. It was OK though. To my knowledge i haven't caught Covid. I do think that supermarkets are made out to be a lot worse places in terms of spread than they are. A bit like schools.

Obviously you are right to take all the precautions you need to to protect yourself.

tavyred

Bleddy hell Lego, I admire your ability to reel off numerous posts in double quick time. On the subject of the virus however you are all over the place.
You’ve got more positions than the karma sutra!

Alistair20000

I've been to the supermarket about 3/4 times a week since July. Also go to my local shop about twice a week. I went to an ASDA in Dunbar, Scotland in October and it was literally wall to wall people. The worst i have seen. It was so tight and far too many people. It was OK though. To my knowledge i haven't caught Covid. I do think that supermarkets are made out to be a lot worse places in terms of spread than they are. A bit like schools.

Obviously you are right to take all the precautions you need to to protect yourself.
Going on from this, I would more happily sit in a pub where the establishment has invested heavily in Covid protection than a supermarket in the sort of conditions you describe.

DB9

She's ok DB9. We've had a talk and she is OK about going back to school. There are a couple of kids that she knows who are at school so she doesn't feel as bad now. I think it was the lack of not knowing when she'd be going back and when her friends would be going back which has been the main problem. Another thing the Government have failed with. Not giving specific dates to aim for. Makes it even more difficult. Not that would make a difference now anyway because if they promised something by X date, they'd change their mind about 5 minutes before that date arrived!

Thanks for the concern anyway DB. I'd be a lot more concerned if we did not have the option of sending her back to school, which most parents do not and which is a national scandal for which a public inquiry needs to be had.
Like i say you know best for your child but please don't let you "Anger" at the Government's handling of this crisis get in the way of your child's education, If my daughter was a key worker i'd say to her let her two girls go back to school because at the moment they can't do much, The so called home schooling is really difficult with the two girls at different ages and learning abilities plus a two year old getting into things as well and not having a lap top each for them, Sharing is making it nigh on impossible for them to really get a decent education plus they live in a two bed flat, Five of them altogether it is cramped and very hard.

Legohead

Banned
Going on from this, I would more happily sit in a pub where the establishment has invested heavily in Covid protection than a supermarket in the sort of conditions you describe.
Absolutely Ali. But the Government can't be arsed to put in the effort to work out which places are Covid secure and should stay open and which places have an increased risk of spread. Therefore they use the blunt instrument of lockdown to close everything. As it's easier for the lazy twats.

Zoos and animal parks are struggling now. Why are they closed? Tickets can be pre booked, numbers limited and they are outdoors. No risk at all. Least it's somewhere to go in the winter.

Golf courses, swimming pools etc. Pre book your time slot. Numbers limited. Everyone is kept well away from others. Not a problem.

Restaurants. Everyone kept well apart. Pre book your table and away you go. Minimal risk of spread.

Castles, national trust, english heritage places. Pre book tickets, limit numbers and it's absolutely fine. No free for all at these places.

The list goes on with places that can easily guarantee Covid security but yet have to close.

Alistair20000

Bleddy hell Lego, I admire your ability to reel off numerous posts in double quick time. On the subject of the virus however you are all over the place.
You’ve got more positions than the karma sutra!
I decline to comment on whether Lego is “all over the place” in regard to the virus.

What I would say is that the Government is all over the place with it.