• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster

Red. I'm surprised at you.
Aren't public transport drivers/staff allowed to get covid, too? Half the bleddy country has got it - why wouldn't tube workers?
Evidence please Mike or is this hyperbole ?

IndoMike

Evidence please Mike or is this hyperbole ?
It was just a way of saying a whole lotra people have been infected. Not to be taken literally, old chum.

Mr Jinx

£80k for driving a tube train is, imho, an outrageous salary for something that is automated in half the world, and they strike more than almost any other group of workers.
In fairness, that is probably what the top earner got. So he'd be at peak salary and he probably did masses of overtime. They're certainly not all paid that.

IndoMike

Of course they are. However I would argue that tube drivers, sealed in their cabs, are pretty well protected. The depots are all in the open air and they don't actually come into any contact with passengers.

Station staff and bus drivers however are completely different, and much more at risk. Almost as much as school staff!

£80k for driving a tube train is, imho, an outrageous salary for something that is automated in half the world, and they strike more than almost any other group of workers.
Their salary is not really connected with their chances of getting covid.
But anyway, regarding their salary, there are many people who get a much higher salary for doing fark all and a whole lot of people who earn less for doing more. And we don't know the breakdown of the salary. Is 80k the average salary or the highest? Does it include overtime? etc etc.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
In fairness, that is probably what the top earner got. So he'd be at peak salary and he probably did masses of overtime. They're certainly not all paid that.
Faor enough. But the base pay is over £55k on top of which there are generous benefits such as free travel including their families and decent pension contributions, as well as 8 weeks holiday. I know the hours can be unsocial.

Mr Jinx

Faor enough. But the base pay is over £55k on top of which there are generous benefits such as free travel including their families and decent pension contributions, as well as 8 weeks holiday. I know the hours can be unsocial.
Yes, it's still too high. They and their union wield too much power however. Even Boris couldn't reign them in, and now the complicit Khan is at the helm. I long for the day when we have driverless tube trains. I thought there was an announcement in the past couple of years saying it wasn't too far away. Guess who then got their knickers in a knot!

IndoMike

I guess part of the salary is related to the responsibility factor. Being responsible for the lives of thousands of people throughout the day must count for something. If we start questioning people's salaries we'd never end. I tend to think that the vast majority of workers are underpaid rather.than overpaid.
But anyway, this is only very loosely connected to lockdown and we're going offtrack, if you excuse the pun. Any minute now Hants' iron fist will crush us
Lockdowns are horrible but until the Govt finally works out a consistent strategy we're farked.

Last edited:

DB9

Yes, it's still too high. They and their union wield too much power however. Even Boris couldn't reign them in, and now the complicit Khan is at the helm. I long for the day when we have driverless tube trains. I thought there was an announcement in the past couple of years saying it wasn't too far away. Guess who then got their knickers in a knot!
If that's the market rate then so be it, Like footballers, They're all overpaid IMHO but it's the market rate and what is negotiated, So Johnson couldn't "Reign them in" but Khan's "Complicit" ? Amazing!!!

Mr Jinx

The Supreme Court has just ruled that Insurance Companies are actually liable to payout because of Business Interruption due to Covid. They had previously refused saying pandemics weren't covered.

This is good news for some I suppose, but I've just come from working in an Insurance Company and they'll be now reeling and looking to lay off even more.

Mr Jinx

If that's the market rate then so be it,
That's the thing mate, there is no market. It's a state run monopoly.