• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Interesting. Are they not challenged by the staff at Greendale [I assume you're talking about the farm shop]?
I thought he was referring to Postman Pat? (Although he's on furlough at present because Mrs Goggins is having to self-isolate. He can't leave even his house for a nice cream tea because Nisha Bains has had to shut the cafe. Anyway, he's got to nurse Jess through the cat flu and doesn't wan to give PC Selby an excuse to hand out yet more fixed penalty notices)

Mr Jinx

UK Vaccinations: 2.4 million
France Vaccinations: 0.08 million

<titter>

IndoMike

I thought he was referring to Postman Pat? (Although he's on furlough at present because Mrs Goggins is having to self-isolate. He can't leave even his house for a nice cream tea because Nisha Bains has had to shut the cafe. Anyway, he's got to nurse Jess through the cat flu and doesn't wan to give PC Selby an excuse to hand out yet more fixed penalty notices)
Well I thought he was talking about a pub in Buddle Lane.
(Thanks for the update on Postman Pat).

IBA

UK Vaccinations: 2.4 million
France Vaccinations: 0.08 million

<titter>
Why is that funny?

angelic upstart

In fairness to Mr Moxey, he's right. The school firstborn goes to has 300 children at home, and 100 children at school, in addition all staff are in the school. So the problem of school being "vectors" remains and is only slightly lowered by being open. Additionally, I'd like to say the equivalence is saying trains aren't running, because there's a few less running and there's fewer passengers. It marginally lowers the risk, but the families who are key workers, generally already have a higher risk of catching and spreading anyway.

Grecian2K

Ah, so football isn't actually being played behind "closed" doors either?

angelic upstart

Ah, so football isn't actually being played behind "closed" doors either?
In a word, no.

fred binneys head

In fairness to Mr Moxey, he's right. The school firstborn goes to has 300 children at home, and 100 children at school, in addition all staff are in the school. So the problem of school being "vectors" remains and is only slightly lowered by being open. Additionally, I'd like to say the equivalence is saying trains aren't running, because there's a few less running and there's fewer passengers. It marginally lowers the risk, but the families who are key workers, generally already have a higher risk of catching and spreading anyway.
Individual anecdotes aren't useful here. My kids' school is one of the largest secondary schools in the country and there's about 10% of the kids there and not many of the teachers, so does that trump your 25% or not? The fact remains that the schools are open only to the extent that the doors are physically unlocked and a small number of children and teachers walk through those doors, but when we're having a debate about the impact of Covid on the provision of education, constantly claiming that schools remain open and "no children are being prevented from attending school" is unnecessarily pedantic and plainly wrong.

Grecian2K

In a word, no.
Please clarify.
Do you mean "no, it is being played behind closed doors" or "no ,it isn't"?
I would tend to the latter since press, media and other "key workers" are still permitted to attend.

fred binneys head

Surely the point here is the reduction in spectators is having a huge impact on football, the lack of face to face teaching is having a huge impact on our school children, and we're discussing it using terms like football 'being played behind closed doors' and 'schools being shut'. Getting bogged down in semantic point scoring is something Mr Logic from Viz would do, and means we spend time on this instead of the substance of the arguments.

No need to guess who Exeweb's Mr Logic is.