• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hear you Al, but I'm going to play Devil's advocate here. Amidst all the doom and gloom that was around us last May, those words at the time did offer some crumbs of comfort. And it did look like it was going to beaten both here and abroad, but then of course mother nature just went and did what mother nature does.

It should have dawned on most people some weeks ago that this is how it is going to be now until a working vaccine is fully out there. You can play peek a boo and kid yourself that you're beating this thing, but open everything up again in the cold months and guess what's going to happen?

Next year I do hope they realise that they have been locking down too late and opening things up again way too late. I'm much more concerned now about people's ongoing mental health than I am about a friggin flu virus. This is killing us.
Crumbs of comfort that are at best based on pious hope or at worst downright lies do not work for me Jinxy. It was as plain as a pike staff that Covid would kick off again come autumn/winter. it is the way of all viral infections and proven by a study of the way previous versions have run their course. No expert analysis needed.

This thing was never going to be "beaten" without a vaccine and who knows how effective these trial vaccines will be. Further, if Mr Covid gets rather angry at the attempt to stop him be prepared for him to mutate to find a way round it.

At some point people need to take on board all that The Dish set out yesterday.

We are fooked.
Be fair Al. 1% of the country is under Tier 1. Promise delivered.
If the To55er trots that one out I will be off to the punching thread :)

Apologies for two replies in one post.

Oldsmobile-88

Who would have thought ?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Who would have thought ?
What's it say? It behind a pay wall?

Oldsmobile-88

Who would have thought ?
Sorry it’s behind a paywall...If you follow Andrew Neil on Twitter the article is visible.

Basically saying that although Covid positive tests are proportionally lower in Scotland something the First Minister mentions,unsurprisingly she does not mention that Scotland has a higher mortality rate of Covid compared to England..

dontpassback

It is rapidly getting to the point where people arent Going to believe a word johnson and his scientific pals say,tiers don’t work,so we must lockdown.we have had lockdown,so now we go back to tiers which allegedly don’t work,so we just keep carrying on down the same path,is it a sign of insanity? Who knows,but is beginning to get farcical !

Banksy

It is rapidly getting to the point where people arent Going to believe a word johnson and his scientific pals say,tiers don’t work,so we must lockdown.we have had lockdown,so now we go back to tiers which allegedly don’t work,so we just keep carrying on down the same path,is it a sign of insanity? Who knows,but is beginning to get farcical !
I suppose the first test of that will be whether people abide by the rules in their respective zones at Christmas.Thing is though , we won’t know whether they’ve done that or not until the infection rates and hospital admissions rise after the festive season in those areas where the rules have been disobeyed.

tavyred

Most reasonable people will understand the competing factors in this pandemic of public health and the economy makes this a devilishly difficult situation to manage and ultimately get on top of. Catastrophists on both sides take it turns to bleat about the latest government dictat all seemingly unwilling to concede that if one side of this interminable conundrum is favoured then the other one suffers. Are there inconsistencies, yes and why wouldn’t there be if competing arguments are at play and has communication been less than clear at times, yes again.
The fact is however there are no clear and obvious risk free solutions to this pre vaccine period of the pandemic and to expect otherwise is unreasonable at best and delusional at worst.

DB9

1606466879304.jpeg

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's been a while since I've been to London, it's changed quite a bit!

iscalad

It's been a while since I've been to London, it's changed quite a bit!

No wonder they elected Trump.