• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UEFA Statement-European Super League.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who knows.
Let's see.

Working class boy done good.
Says his piece (which I agree with).

Good enough for me so far.
Indeed.

Seems odd to use the ESL proposals as some sort of stick to beat the lad with, when it had absolutely zero to do with him anyway. I feel for people who can't enjoy the good deeds of others.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems like Rashford has already spoken out against the ELS https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/american-football/marcus-rashford-breaks-rank-to-criticise-european-super-league-plans/ar-BB1fR4Ts

<cue frantic research from old gammon trying to find alternative evidence of hypocrisy>

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bringing this back up, Now Messi is leaving Barca and from what i see its because Barca have to let him go, I think we are now seeing the reason why they were so desperate to get this ESL off the ground, Spanish and probably Italian football, At least some of the big teams are right in it. Also i do wonder what Broadcaster was in on this? Whoever they were, Their money was almost likely to be the biggest chunk to get the ESL off the ground.

angelic upstart

Bringing this back up, Now Messi is leaving Barca and from what i see its because Barca have to let him go, I think we are now seeing the reason why they were so desperate to get this ESL off the ground, Spanish and probably Italian football, At least some of the big teams are right in it. Also i do wonder what Broadcaster was in on this? Whoever they were, Their money was almost likely to be the biggest chunk to get the ESL off the ground.
Let's be fair, the large majority of British clubs are in effect skint and close to going bust. In addition they are being bankrolled by a wealthy benefactor.

DB9

Let's be fair, the large majority of British clubs are in effect skint and close to going bust. In addition they are being bankrolled by a wealthy benefactor.
The EPL have what no other league has, A massive £5bn TV deal and that in itself makes them light years ahead against othe European Leagues, The Spanish and Italian leagues are not the money spinners they once was and can't compete with EPL for the massive Asian and North American TV audiences. The top clubs in the EPL may run at a loss but have that guaranteed income.

angelic upstart

The EPL have what no other league has, A massive £5bn TV deal and that in itself makes them light years ahead against othe European Leagues, The Spanish and Italian leagues are not the money spinners they once was and can't compete with EPL for the massive Asian and North American TV audiences. The top clubs in the EPL may run at a loss but have that guaranteed income.
They literally waste it on hyper inflated player wages. Clubs like Atalanta, Villarreal and athletic Bilbao pay similar wages to Burnley and brighton and the Spanish/Italian clubsare light years ahead of them on most metrics.

Some of the average premier League teams are spending 30/40 million a year more on wages, for substandard players. The money from abroad won't last forever and the bigger clubs need to recognise this.

I'd be glad if they join a super League and give football back to the fans. It would be more popular. Not unlike college football and the NFL.

Colesman Ballz

Unless it has changed in Spain Barca and Real Madrid refused to be part of a collective TV deal for La Liga, because they make more money by selling their own TV rights directly. This is the crux of why Barca couldn't resign Messi because they would have needed to give away a percentage of their income in future, in order to accept the American investment into La Liga, which was their only way of paying Messi and keeping within the salary cap. Poor dears, that will teach them not to run up their mind boggling debt mountain and then expect to change the entire dynamics of European football to get themselves out of the hole !

angelic upstart

To think Barcelona until 2006 didn't even have a shirt sponsor as they were the people's club.

DB9

They literally waste it on hyper inflated player wages. Clubs like Atalanta, Villarreal and athletic Bilbao pay similar wages to Burnley and brighton and the Spanish/Italian clubsare light years ahead of them on most metrics.

Some of the average premier League teams are spending 30/40 million a year more on wages, for substandard players. The money from abroad won't last forever and the bigger clubs need to recognise this.

I'd be glad if they join a super League and give football back to the fans. It would be more popular. Not unlike college football and the NFL.
While the product is popular the money will keep on coming in, The EPL Commercial team know this, Other European Leagues are totally envious of this.

angelic upstart

Let us not forget, today's yoof can barely bother watching full matches. The money will dry up at some point.