• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UEFA Statement-European Super League.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could get interesting.

Rosencrantz

Could get interesting.

The English clubs, along with the others, are either trying to call UEFA's bluff and get the CL adjusted to their liking or are just finally dropping the pretence that they care about domestic football anymore. After all, why should any of the big six risk miss out on the big money? Especially to the likes of Leicester and West Ham.

i8cornwall

Let them go, it'll be better for the other Prem clubs and the EFL, TV money will be less but I'm not sure that will really effect L2 and L1 clubs that much.

tavyred

Let them go, it'll be better for the other Prem clubs and the EFL, TV money will be less but I'm not sure that will really effect L2 and L1 clubs that much.
Hmm.
The Premier league TV deals will collapse big time without the big six. Rosey is probably right about this perhaps being an exercise in extracting more cash from the revised UEFA competitions, but there’s backing to the tune of £6BN via Morgan Stanley if they do go ahead apparently. This will potentially put the top European clubs in NFL territory as regards income, it would not surprise in the least if this happens.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
I have absolutely no doubt that any breakaway superleague would soon become very tedious. I am bored of the Champions League in it's current format i have to say and the fact that 4 clubs from England are able to enter, yet only one can be the Champion of their league.

i8cornwall

Hmm.
The Premier league TV deals will collapse big time without the big six. Rosey is probably right about this perhaps being an exercise in extracting more cash from the revised UEFA competitions, but there’s backing to the tune of £6BN via Morgan Stanley if they do go ahead apparently. This will potentially put the top European clubs in NFL territory as regards income, it would not surprise in the least if this happens.
I'd imagine it already has and if not it'll only be a matter of time, being cynical here now is probably the best time for them to go, clubs will go to the wall regardless due to covid, better they go now and the FA, EFL and prem can start improving football for everyone in this country.

I'd rather they go then B teams in the league or any of the other ideas proposed in the last few years.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Must admit I'm a bit confused. It's been billed as a 'Super League' yet two of the clubs will be Arsenal and Tottenham...

On a more serious note, these plans are born simply of shameless greed. The Premier League should threaten them all with expulsion and, possibly more importantly, UEFA and FIFA should state that any players involved would be ineligible for the Euros and World Cups.

tavyred

I’m being honest here by saying that the latter stages of the Champions league p*sses all over the likes of Burnley playing for a draw at Old Trafford in the EPL. A European super league involving 18 blue chip clubs would be box office the world over. The top clubs know their worth unfortunately, if it doesn’t happen this time it will.

Legohead

Banned
I’m being honest here by saying that the latter stages of the Champions league p*sses all over the likes of Burnley playing for a draw at Old Trafford in the EPL. A European super league involving 18 blue chip clubs would be box office the world over. The top clubs know their worth unfortunately, if it doesn’t happen this time it will.
I see what you are saying. From an entertainment perspective it would be a lot more enjoyable to watch Real Madrid v PSG than Newcastle capitulating again at a top 12 Premier League club, but then what would happen to the Champions League if a super league came into play? Would it be scrapped?

Benguin

Don’t we go through this every few years. The big clubs end up staying, they get richer as a result of their brinkmanship and everyone else suffers. As others have already mentioned, how can it be a super league anyway with Arsenal and Spurs in it. Can’t these greedy idiots see that it is amazing stories like Leicester winning the Premier league that keeps things interesting and gives hope to everyone that progression up the pyramid is possible. Who knows one day we might even get back into league 1!