• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

U23s team

tom_ecfc

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the number of cat 1 & 2 clubs entering.
For "quality" reasons this season they altered the rules so that only Academy Category 1 & 2 clubs could enter the competition. The only exception was that they allowed Brentford (who had just restarted their academy at level 4) to enter as they are a Premiership club. As I said before only a change to the rules will allow City back in.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given that Southgate has voiced his concerns at availability of home talent (https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12835452/gareth-southgate-admits-concern-over-englands-shrinking-talent-pool-with-only-32-per-cent-of-starters-in-premier-league-eligible) maybe Taggy should use his contacts (inc Fulham, Villa & ChelseaDollar) to support our bid to join this competition ?
What is strange is that the PL want to push their kids into our comps but not "play with us" in theirs ?
Something for the new Football Zsar to sort ?
PS Bad news is that the lot 40 miles W will probably go straight into the PL Cup with their millions

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don’t think it’s got anything to do with the number of cat 1 & 2 clubs entering.
For "quality" reasons this season they altered the rules so that only Academy Category 1 & 2 clubs could enter the competition.
Yes...A real shame. There were a few good games at SJP in that competition.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
For "quality" reasons this season they altered the rules so that only Academy Category 1 & 2 clubs could enter the competition. The only exception was that they allowed Brentford (who had just restarted their academy at level 4) to enter as they are a Premiership club. As I said before only a change to the rules will allow City back in.
Boo!

Boyo

If memory serves me right, there always used to be a qualifying round for Cat 3 (maybe Cat 2) clubs that wanted to play in the Premier League Cup. If that was correct then there are likely quite a few clubs in the same boat as us. I'd like to think therefore that there is an appetite among lower league clubs for a U23 style competition. Of course it wouldn't have the prestige, but nevertheless is should provide opportunities for games for the youngsters and fringe players.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If memory serves me right, there always used to be a qualifying round for Cat 3 (maybe Cat 2) clubs that wanted to play in the Premier League Cup. If that was correct then there are likely quite a few clubs in the same boat as us. I'd like to think therefore that there is an appetite among lower league clubs for a U23 style competition. Of course it wouldn't have the prestige, but nevertheless is should provide opportunities for games for the youngsters and fringe players.
There is a competition, the Professional Development League. I guess this is what we should look to join.

Boyo

There is a competition, the Professional Development League. I guess this is what we should look to join.
That's an U21 league I believe, whereas I think we'd prefer an U23 competition, with options of playing the odd over age player. Clubs within the Professional Development League currently play 18 fixtures per season, which I think would be too much. And I think games are at weekends, which would prevent us sending players out on loan to local clubs.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That's an U21 league I believe, whereas I think we'd prefer an U23 competition, with options of playing the odd over age player. Clubs within the Professional Development League currently play 18 fixtures per season, which I think would be too much. And I think games are at weekends, which would prevent us sending players out on loan to local clubs.
I see a lot of clubs play games during the week and early in the day. There's some non league teams who have U23 teams, so we could play a lot of friendlies if needed.

Christian

Unfortunately you have to be Cat 2 for the PDL.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Another youngster added to our squad. While gaining experience in men's football is invaluable, there's still benefits to a reserve style league with our own management and coaches getting them to play the Exeter "way" so they're ready to step up.