• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Typical E&E

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's nothing wrong with it now as they've taken the advice given and edited the headline accordingly. Instead of 'Exeter trained football coach' which is how the headline is now, it earlier stated 'ECFC trained football coach' in the headline.
For what it's worth, I'd suggest the original headline, while averagely tenuous, was more accurate than the current one.

According to what was said in court, Reilly had been trained to be a football coach by Exeter City, hence 'ECFC-trained football coach'. Not really sure what 'Exeter trained football coach' is supposed to mean, given Reilly wasn't trained by Exeter [the city] but by Exeter City [the football club]. Hey ho.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
According to what was said in court, Reilly had been trained to be a football coach by Exeter City, hence 'ECFC-trained football coach'. Not really sure what 'Exeter trained football coach' is supposed to mean, given Reilly wasn't trained by Exeter [the city] but by Exeter City [the football club]. Hey ho.
Egg, you're a journalist by profession, having once (I think) been on the books of the E&E. Therefore I understand your stance. I just wish that the paper would be consistant with the coverage of Exeter City stories. You know as well as I do that back in Trina Lake's day everything sent in to 'The City Mailbag' (no internet then) was published. It was as much the E&E as anything else that helped get rid of Colin Appleton, Brian Godfrey, Terry Cooper (the second time), as well as kicking off the campaign in great big letters about the Russell & Lewis caper. Now the paper appears to be afraid of its own shadow as far as what they think will upset the club board. Good on sums for taking the action he did and getting the appropriate result, but do you think the outcome would have been the same back in your day? As I think you imply, I dont think so.

Last edited:

denzel

Not sure why people are being so precious in here. Appears he attended ECFC coaching courses and JV gave him a character reference. Assuming that nothing showed up in a DBS check why would anyone think he shouldn't be allowed on a course, or given a good reference assuming that he will have exhibited none of the alleged behaviour during the courses.

Sidey's back

Not a lot, but the spin off debate about what they do or dont print eventually led you to suggest I was making up "utter rubbish"?
That does tend to be the case...

PeteUSA

That does tend to be the case...
I think you know differently about this particular case.

Swanaldo

The Echo, like pretty much every other paper in the country, is selling fewer and fewer copies and website traffic is essential to its future.
Hence the death spiral of shoddy journalism.

So, farewell then, Express and Echo. You won't be missed.

Fareham Grecian

I think its pretty safe to say the club has almost total control about what the E&E publish about important stuff
This is what you posted and Moxey and I challenged. So I will ask again, do you have any evidence for this at all - or are you just making it up?

Sidey's back

I think you know differently about this particular case.
Not quite sure what that means.

When will you realise that fabricating stories and presenting them as facts only goes to devalue any efforts made to effect any change?

Tim Long

Someone had some fun at Exeter Crown Court, passing on stories to the Daily Mail like the one in the OP and this one...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4004796/Binge-drinker-performed-lesbian-sex-act-public-park-horrified-children-mothers-avoids-jail-clean-stupid-feckless-lifestyle.html

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is what you posted and Moxey and I challenged. So I will ask again, do you have any evidence for this at all - or are you just making it up?
I do think local newspapers tread warily with what they print so as to not upset a potentially good source of news. When the E&E sports desk rings up the club for info they don't want to risk receiving minimal news or having the phone slammed down on them which would result in making their column that much harder to fill.