• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Spitting Image was good back at that time.

iscalad

16th May 1993.

Tucked away late on Channel 4 was the excellent historical programme, Red Empire about the USSR which was in 7 parts using eyewitness accounts from the October Bolshevik Revolution of 1917 right through to Gorbachev in the late 1980s.

The one I remember most was about Collective Farming which ultimately lead to a famine in the early 1930s, cannibalism was rife in some areas with chilling first hand accounts from survivors of that time. Life has always been cheap either in Tsarist Russia, the Soviet Union, & as we see now in capitalist Russia.

Originally produced & broadcasted for the ITV Network by Yorkshire TV in 1990, the times were changing, just a decade before such access & interviews with Soviet citizens would have been very difficult or nigh on impossible.

View attachment 8563
Always liked The Wonder Years

DB9

Always liked The Wonder Years
So did I, Unfortunately they've dropped Fred Savage (Who played Kevin) from directing the rebooted version due to claims of inappropriate behaviour!

Oldsmobile-88

Europa League Final between Eintracht Frankfurt & Glasgow Rangers is free to air on BT Sport this evening.

Mr Jinx

Europa League Final between Eintracht Frankfurt & Glasgow Rangers is free to air on BT Sport this evening.
Yeah, don't watch the live stream on Youtube. It's dog.

Oldsmobile-88

18th May 1973

A unusual programme for UK children’s TV time on BBC1, You Are There, a historical US educational TV programme.
The usual fare from the other side of the Atlantic shown on kids TV in the U.K. would be stuff like Wacky Races, Scooby Do ,Banana Splits or The Hair Bear Bunch 😁😎

You Are There was originally broadcasted in the US on CBS in 1953-57 & revived in 1971-72.

The format was a News Anchor none other than legend Walter Cronkite introducing a historical moment with reporters interviewing the main protagonists in the story with Cronkite closing the programme with a summary.

As far as I recall just the one season was shown on BBC1, the historical format of the programme obviously had a US slant & would have had little appeal at that time at that time slot, unless like me you were interested in history.

472FB4CB-E7D4-4BAF-BC99-D9A412CCA38D.jpeg

DB9

18th May 1973

A unusual programme for UK children’s TV time on BBC1, You Are There, a historical US educational TV programme.
The usual fare from the other side of the Atlantic shown on kids TV in the U.K. would be stuff like Wacky Races, Scooby Do ,Banana Splits or The Hair Bear Bunch 😁😎

You Are There was originally broadcasted in the US on CBS in 1953-57 & revived in 1971-72.

The format was a News Anchor none other than legend Walter Cronkite introducing a historical moment with reporters interviewing the main protagonists in the story with Cronkite closing the programme with a summary.

As far as I recall just the one season was shown on BBC1, the historical format of the programme obviously had a US slant & would have had little appeal at that time at that time slot, unless like me you were interested in history.

View attachment 8574
IIRC one episode included a Presidential election, Think from convention to election result, Not sure who's but a wild guess George Washington or Abraham Lincoln's one later.

Oldsmobile-88

18th May 1993.

999 a docudrama which ran for 12 series(103) episodes from 1992-2003.
Presented by Michael Buerk to give the programme a bit of solemnity in what was a unusual subject for TV ‘entertainment’ back then.
A format which had been doing the rounds on US TV in the previous decade.

There were a few spin offs 999 Rescue was presented by Juliette Morris.

B52DE7AB-55EF-436F-BA6A-D330A847BA86.jpeg

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I rather liked Russ Abbot's nonsense.

DB9

Netflix cutting 150 jobs, Mainly in the US due to a 200k loss in subscribers, I have to admit I watch more on Amazon now than Netflix and won't miss it when my Sky is turned off.