• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watching Dave Allen on BBC2, He really was funny.

iscalad

I'm watching Quest but have both Dave Allen shows on record

Reactions: DB9

Oldsmobile-88

I loved watching Dave Allen At Large on BBC2 in the 1970s...Sat in the chair with a glass of whiskey & smoking a ciggy was the start of the show.
He had a great style.
Some of the sketches as a priest were hilarious.

tavyred

A programme I stumbled across on You Tube which I remember from its one & only broadcast run in 1980 is Strangeways,a 4 part documentary about HMP Strangeways(Now called HMP Manchester)

I can’t imagine a similar access all areas documentary warts & all being allowed like that nowadays.

It was fascinating viewing when it was first broadcasted & I will check it out again.
A long since gone Prison Service, which as with most things can be a good and a bad thing.

Mr Jinx

Caught a very informative and moving documentary last night on Sky Arts about the lead singer of X-ray Spex, Poly Styrene, aka Marianne Elliot-Said.

I must admit I didn't know much about her or her band but because Radio 6 keeps playing their biggest hit "Oh Bondage Up Yours", I thought I'd better catch up.

I found it fascinating. Here was a young girl, quite shy and not a tough nut like Siouxsie or Chrissie Hynde, who threw herself into the bear pit that was punk in the late seventies. This was a time when "show us yer tits" would've been shouted incessantly, and race relations aren't what they are now (she was mixed race).

Inevitably, being as vulnerable as she was, the wheels fell off pretty quickly and she practically vanished from view and it gives the back story to those lost years.

Quite a sad story really. Just wondering if Spoonz crossed paths at some point?

Spoonz Red E

Caught a very informative and moving documentary last night on Sky Arts about the lead singer of X-ray Spex, Poly Styrene, aka Marianne Elliot-Said.

I must admit I didn't know much about her or her band but because Radio 6 keeps playing their biggest hit "Oh Bondage Up Yours", I thought I'd better catch up.

I found it fascinating. Here was a young girl, quite shy and not a tough nut like Siouxsie or Chrissie Hynde, who threw herself into the bear pit that was punk in the late seventies. This was a time when "show us yer tits" would've been shouted incessantly, and race relations aren't what they are now (she was mixed race).

Inevitably, being as vulnerable as she was, the wheels fell off pretty quickly and she practically vanished from view and it gives the back story to those lost years.

Never met her but would have loved to.
I thought she was excellent.

fred binneys head

What was the documentary called?

Mr Jinx

What was the documentary called?
Poly Styrene: I am a Cliché.

Which she very much wasn't!

Oldsmobile-88

X-ray Spex only album Germ Free Adolescence is a gem & often gets overlooked when that era of music is discussed.

I never saw Poly or the band perform unfortunately,but did see her in different guise along Oxford St in the early 1980s with a Hara Krishna group chanting as they walked among the bemused shoppers.

I have got the programme recorded & look forward to seeing it.

There is a great Arena Programme about Poly made in 1977/78 on You Tube that is worth a watch.

fred binneys head

Poly Styrene: I am a Cliché.

Which she very much wasn't!
Thanks, I’m downloading it to my sky box and will watch it later this week. Thanks for the recommendation.